INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use a Pi with MC as a mini DSP/volume control?  (Read 889 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Can I use a Pi with MC as a mini DSP/volume control?
« on: June 16, 2023, 07:59:18 am »

In my boat (where the music is fed by a Pi 4 with a 2 TB SSD) I need a way to control volume and have a simple lowpass filter for the subwoofers. I like to have the twin active JBL 10" subs running close to max, but I need a way to keep them below distortion, and the mix of different albums drive me nuts. I have to adjust all the time if I'm running a playlist with stuff from different albums, and for now that means that I have to bend down under the dashboard, where the Pioneer headunit is, and go in to the menu to adjust it. I have one other Pi that isn't used for much (mainly special old stuff that won't work on Bullseye, so I have that one on Stretch). So what I thought about is using that extra pi for this:

Subwoofer out from headunit --> Behringer UCA222 USB sound card line input --> MC audio driver --> Behringer UCA222 USB sound card line output --> Subwoofers

I think it's impossible because I can't see an audio driver option in the Raspberry Pi version, unlike the Windows version. Or have I perhaps not looked good enough?

If this is not possible, does anybody know about something that could work for this? A bit overkill to have a laptop running in the boat since it's not that big a boat! You can see one of the subs in the side of the box that's used for equipment and to take care of the crawfish, lobster and crab pots on. The speakers are underneath the roof, two 6x9 JBL Marine in enclosures in front of the windscreen and two in the back of the wheelhouse.

Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can I use a Pi with MC as a mini DSP/volume control?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 08:11:43 am »

No input on MC Linux

You can use camilladsp for this purpose

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 08:13:58 am »

Thank you very much! ;D And I see that it has a websocket server, so I can use Node-RED to control it!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 08:59:10 am »

Party time!  I smell beer.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 09:04:54 am »

Oh, yes, sir! Beer, progmetal and deep sea (200-300 m) fishing with the boys! 🤘🍻 Norway has a .08 % blood alcohol level for driving a boat, and that is a few beers for 100 kilos of me! (I don't drive 30 knots in that state, though...)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 11:56:53 am »

Sounds like fun.  How about a little video?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 02:22:20 am »

Sorry, Jim! What happens in Mad Max stays in Mad Max...  ;D But I can show you how I set my crawfish traps:

https://youtu.be/LICEMinFotg

You can also see the four main speakers there, but this was before I mounted the second subwoofer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 07:15:30 am »

Thanks, Tor!  Very cool!

Is the North Sea always so calm?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 05:21:08 am »

Glad you liked it! And no. This is a section of the sea called Skagerack, which is between Norway and Denmark. It's calmer than om the west coast, but in the winter (when this was filmed, as my elegant outfit suggests) we often have to change the days we go out because the waves or the wind is too heavy. We get scared long before the boat reaches it's limits, which is probably a good thing! This is the area where I fish. The lower right corner is Denmark.

Pages: [1]   Go Up