INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starlink Internet  (Read 572 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Starlink Internet
« on: June 16, 2023, 09:05:39 am »

I bought a Starlink antenna and router a couple months ago for $600 something and installed the antenna on my roof.

It's fast!  50 to 150 Mbps down and 4 to 10 up.  35 to 45 ms latency.

I pay $120 per month, about twice what I pay for Centurylink.  Starlink is faster.

I bought it to have a good backup when Centurylink is struggling or unavailable.

It requires a clear view of the sky.  I have some trees around but the view is about 80% open from my roof and it works.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: Starlink Internet
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 12:26:29 pm »

Indeed.  We've been buying Starlink for some of our more remote locations where the local PTT allows.  Sooooo much more cost effective and reliable than say, Ethio Telecom.

The new generation fully moveable and smaller (disguisable!) antenna really helped with connection and speed issues in marginal locations.  The first-gen antenna were a nightmare.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 03:59:11 am »

I have had starlink for a few months. The kit is only 200 canadian for some reason when you live close to Arctic, or in Arctic. 140 canadian didgeridoos a month for unlimited. My download speeds are a fairly consistent 5 MB / second. Sometimes it reaches 8. This is quite good compared to the dsl with dial up speeds i would have if i wasn't off grid.

The antenna is strong. Twice my dog has run full speed into the wire and sent it flying.

Because i do not run it all day, i can do a one time download each day of podcasts, newfeeds, and videos from youtube, bitchute, etc. All from RSS in one form or another.

Massive weekly windows updates are no longer a nightmare.

My antenna points north. The previous satellite internet providers, which have shut down, all pointed south.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 07:06:57 am »

Cool report.  Are you running off a generator sometimes?  Watching for forest fires?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 02:46:01 pm »

I have small solar setup. In summer with 24 hours of light i do not use generator. In winter with 5 hours of light i use generator. Maybe for one hour a day to top everything up. This winter the starlink will be in the mix. I checked how much power it used, but forget exactly. Was somewhere around 60 watts.

The winter sun is not even the equivalent of a trickle charge so it is essentially useless. Batteries after 6 years are almost useless too. It is cheaper to use 1 dollar of gas each day instead of upgrading batteries for thousands of dollars.

I have worked in remote camps for exploration, mining, construction, environmental cleanup, etc for many years. Internet has basically been non existent. Sites were paying tens of thousands a month, sometimes hundreds of thousands, just for the slowest internet connection that barely could let you receive an email. Now they have tolerable speeds for a tiny fraction of the price. It is a pretty big deal.

I have seen two cars recently driving down the highway with starlink antennas on their roof. I do not know if they were using while driving or if is was stowed for travel.

While affordable internet everywhere is nice for the time being it does get a little scary when you consider the negative implications it could have. Surveillance, CBDCs, carbon credits, social credit scores, digital IDs. Soon we could be saying things like "back when I was young our id was just a plastic card, and we drove around all over the place". Elon bought twitter to turn it into a payment system, like wechat, so it is not a stretch to think they are setting up a network for this.

As for fires. Almost none around me. I had great summer. A few days of light smoke from Alaska, but other than that, clear skies. There was fires 1000 km east and 1500 km south. The smoke from those went south to the US. I was getting fresh air from the Juneau and Kluane Icefields. It has not gone unappreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 03:47:59 pm »

Thanks for all the details.  Really interesting.

Post a picture or two sometime.

I've read somewhere about the possibility of using the used batteries from EV's for home storage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up