INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance difference of NUC/RasPi4 ids used as Server/Transporter  (Read 330 times)

Maitlandfan

• Recent member

Hi. What would be performance difference between a NUC and RasPi4 ids when used as music Server/Transporter? And if any, would it affect the sound quality?

I have my collection on a USB SSD, almost all FLAC music files ripped from CDs. On the output side, I have several USB DACs attached to audio sets in different locations. I am planning to attach the USB SSD to an id, play through a USB DAC and control it by a smartphone. So the id should be basically reading files, streaming through USB to the DAC, monitoring wifi and responding to occasional control signals from the smartphone. I have no plan to view videos throug this system. Probably not a big workload for a CPU, but never know where bottlenecks could be hidden. 

Probably the NUC should be more reliable when used as servers, but they are more expensive, particularly with the added shipping cost to Japan. Buying an SD card id and using a RasPi4 purchased here would be much cheaper and easier. So my question is whether there will be a significant difference, particularly affecting sound quality, that justify me going for the NUC.

I appreciate if anyone could tell me their experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up