INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: EXIF and IPTC Image Tag Support  (Read 9017 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: EXIF and IPTC Image Tag Support
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2023, 11:54:21 am »

It’s been a few weeks and a few more versions! I’ve just had another bout of Covid so catching up on things (third time! – perk of working in healthcare)
Tip of the hat from me to you, Sir.

Some potential fields [Album] could be mapped to:
[Scene] (IPTC image) – probably best fit?
[Event] noting above
[Job Identifier] (IPTC status)
[Intellectual Genre] (IPTC image)
Need to be careful with this one...

I have actually embraced MC's method of using the date for [Album]. Where a set of photos benefits from an actual "Album" name, I select them, and enter the desired album name manually.

I have several views based around whether or not the [Album] tag is a date, and, my super-duper "rename, move & copy files" expression, that takes care of all files and media types and is the only one I've used for more than ten years, has rules in there to deal with with whether or not the photo is part of a named album or just a date. They get filed on disk differently.

I would regret any change here that broke these things.

Finally, thank you for your testing and reporting in this thread. I am aware what you need to put into it and it's greatly appreciated. I wish I could be more help, sadly, there's so little time these days :(

-marko

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2023, 04:38:26 am »

Thanks Marko. I've had it almost as many times as I've been vaccinated for it!

I also use album extensively in expressions, so understand your hesitation. Only difference is I always tag it with something (eg This holiday, or that event).

How about:
if the mapped IPTC field is empty (almost invariably will be unless you are importing a file tagged by a photographer using the extended IPTC fields) then use date per current.

If the mapped IPTC field is populated, use that.

If Album actively tagged in MC, write to the mapped IPTC field.

This would preserve your (and my) workflow and allow portability of the field.

If support, would still need consensus on which IPTC field to map to. I know there is no 1 for 1 match for use case, but Scene makes most sense to me.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2023, 11:23:05 am »

Has this one been fixed yet?
Not yet, I think  ;)

I have emailed you a description, screens and test files.

Thanks for all the samples!

What’s the reason with [Event]? Some compatibility problem?
Our current code does not handle it correctly.  So I am making some big changes, including a much needed update of a third-party library.

Some potential fields [Album] could be mapped to:
[Scene] (IPTC image) – probably best fit?
[Event] noting above
[Job Identifier] (IPTC status)
[Intellectual Genre] (IPTC image)

We will eventually sort this out.

I will send you an email with a few permutations of files tagged in different orders (MC only, LR only, MC + LR) etc
Edit: sent

Got two emails from you.  Thanks.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2023, 12:24:31 am »

Our current code does not handle it correctly.  So I am making some big changes, including a much needed update of a third-party library.

Thanks Yaobing. In that case, once required coding changes have occurred, my vote is to map [Album] to Event. Not one for one, but at least makes some semantic sense. Second choice would be Scene, followed by the other unmapped fields a few posts back.

In doing this testing, I did also thing about other file formats. All my testing has been with jpg/jpeg files. Have not given a thought to Raw files, tiff, png etc. What image files does MC currently store or attempt to store metadata in? I think Raw formats and tiff at least use EXIF. PNG has a few embedded fields. I'm not sure bmp & gif can store.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up