INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AUDIO passthrough for DTS DD etc  (Read 803 times)

clerks

• Recent member
AUDIO passthrough for DTS DD etc
« on: June 22, 2023, 09:29:33 am »

Hello, I would like to configure JRiver under Windows 11 so that it sends the audio stream directly to my home cinema amplifier via the HDMI socket without modifying it, as the VLC player does (with the "Audio HDMI/SPDIF passthrough" option activated) so that my amplifier takes care of the decoding.

I've seen a solution that consists of going to "DSP studio" and setting "output encoding" to Dolby Digital (require External dolby digital decoder), but this limits the format to 5.1 (so what about 7.1, or dts 2.0 or 1.0? for old restored films?) and doesn't work for DTS, for example...

At the moment, when I use VLC with the "Audio HDMI/SPDIF passthrough" option activated, when I play my videos, my home cinema amplifier displays "DD", or "DTS", whatever the number of channels (mono stereo for old restored films or 5.1 or even 7.1 for new ones) etc etc . With JRiver in studio DSP if I set : Output encoding "none" and channels "number of source channels" my amp displays "Multi IN" and the sound is much worse, or at least different. Is there any configuration possible with JRiver?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: AUDIO passthrough for DTS DD etc
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 09:57:47 am »

The setting to send audio as "bit streamed" is a little confusing in MC.  First, make sure that you have output encoding turned OFF.

Second, the best practice for number of channels is to set it to the number of speakers you have.  If you have a 2 channel system, set it to 2.  If you have a 5.1 system, set it to 5.1.  These settings will be used for multi-channel audio when you are *not* using DD, DTS, etc.

On to the last setting.  What you want is to enable passthrough (bit streaming) for some file types.

Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming

This setting should have several check boxes for the formats you want to "pass through" or "bitstream". 

Brian.

clerks

• Recent member
Re: AUDIO passthrough for DTS DD etc
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 10:06:40 am »

Just wonderful everything works as it should, thank you very much for your help and tip.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up