INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd problem playing CD’s with some drives  (Read 487 times)

Catfish

Odd problem playing CD’s with some drives
« on: June 22, 2023, 02:13:31 pm »

Hi people - newbie here. I have a problem playing cd’s with MC on my Plextor(not really Plextor, of course) PX-891SAF drive. When I initiate play in MC the drive then spins up into a frenzy with all the attendant noise and hum. It does this for 20-60 seconds or so into the track until it calms down and plays silently until it gets about 30 seconds from the end of the track and then it kicks off again for another 20-60 seconds. It does this for every track. I’ve turned off all auto lookup settings I can find and increased the buffer size on my soundcard (M Audio Delta 24/96 Audiophile - old but still sounds great) all to no avail. So I buy a new Asus drive, install it and it’s just the same. I then installed MC on my home PC with a cheap LG drive and it works perfectly! But I don’t want to play my cd’s on that cheap drive. Drives do sound different. So I need a solution to this as it’s unusable as it is. I can’t keep buying different drives to try! So any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to use MC as it’s the best sounding player I’ve used.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Odd problem playing CD’s with some drives
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 02:52:25 pm »

CD drives won't produce different sound if they are working.

Try a Google search for that problem. 

Maybe antivirus?

Catfish

Re: Odd problem playing CD’s with some drives
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 01:44:38 am »

Hi and thanks for your reply. Something I forgot to mention is that I installed the cheap LG drive to my Audio PC and it worked perfectly. I then installed the Plextor into the Home PC and I was getting the same problem again.
I've allowed JRiver as an exception through the anti virus and no change. I tried to allow it through the Windows Firewall but it's not listed. I've turned the firewall off and played offline but no difference. So the only time JRiver works properly is with the LG drive. I don't know what else I can try but at the moment it looks like JRiver doesn't like some drives. That doesn't make any sense to me but it seems to be the case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up