INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem syncing duplicate files to a device  (Read 478 times)

Anxiety Powder

Problem syncing duplicate files to a device
« on: June 25, 2023, 08:48:40 pm »

I'm trying to send some audio files to a "device", it's actually a folder named "Device 1". My method: Right Click>Send To>Drives & Devices>Device 1. Then I press "Sync Now".

The problem is some of these files have the same artist, album, track number and title, so they are being flagged as duplicates which means JRiver refuses to sync them to Device 1. However they don't share the same year. How can I convince JRiver that they are not duplicates, without changing their filenames or track titles? I don't want to change these as this will create a bunch of other problems for me.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problem syncing duplicate files to a device
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 09:21:06 pm »

How about putting the year after the name in parentheses?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Anxiety Powder

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 10:49:05 pm »

How about putting the year after the name in parentheses?

As in, put the year in the [name] tag field? I'm trying best to avoid renaming such fields, as it would cause problems with my workflow.

My "Audio Filename Rule", in the Handheld sync options, is: [Album] ([Year]) - [Name]. The "Audio Path" just puts them all in one folder.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 08:22:21 am »

The problem is some of these files have the same artist, album, track number and title,

I'm going to guess that these are different versions of the same album.  Like a remaster that was released later or something like that.

How do you identify these individual albums in JRiver?  I'm guessing you have some key that tells you which album is which.  I'd like to suggest that different versions of the same album, really are not the same album.  Because they are different by definition. So something should tell you which is which.  Generally speaking, I think adding descriptive text after the album name is the correct solution.

For example I have the album "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac.  I have it from CD and from DVD-A.  The mixes are different and the sample rates are different.  The album name, in my collection, for the DVD-A version is "Rumours (DVD-A)".  This makes it very easy to locate and obvious to me and most others as to what it is.

Of the very few remasters I have, I do something similar. For example "Good For Your Soul (Remaster)". I could include the year in there if I wanted to, but there's only one remaster that I'm aware of so the year is mostly irrelevant to me.

If you tag your collection in this way, it will solve your current issue and perhaps future similar issues caused by all of the metadata being the same for two things which are not the same.

Take care,
Brian.

Anxiety Powder

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 09:55:16 am »

I'm going to guess that these are different versions of the same album.  Like a remaster that was released later or something like that.

Yes that's basically it.

How do you identify these individual albums in JRiver?

I differentiate the different releases by additional tags such as media, catalogue number, barcode, label and release country. Sometimes all of these are the same, because I have several vinyl rips by different people, in which case I have a tag for that.

The issue is I sync all my playlists using Soundiiz, so I can have them on Deezer, Spotify, etc. It works by uploading a playlist file in a specific format, so it matches songs by track title and artist. If I change these it won't recognise them, but I might be able to change the album tag, although it's not ideal for me.

I just want to avoid having the same information in multiple tags, it adds visual clutter. Plus I'd have to retag thousands of songs.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 03:14:08 pm »

You have thousands of duplicate songs?  So close to 1000 duplicate albums?  If that's true that's really a shock.  My entire collection is less than 1000 albums.  That represents a lifetime of collecting the music that I love.  In that collection I have something like a dozen duplicated albums (different versions of the same thing).

Brian.

Anxiety Powder

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 04:33:08 pm »

Oh I meant individual songs! But yeah for albums I probably have close to what you have.

If I was gonna introduce a system to differentiate different duplicates, I'd prefer to have the same rule even on non-duplicates, just for continuity's sake. That's why I said thousands, the total number of dupes is probably much smaller.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 08:28:15 pm »

I'm not sure if we are understanding one another or not.  I'm only suggesting that you change the album name for albums that different from the original release.  Like my examples above:  Rumours and Rumours (DVD-A) .  Or "Good For Your Soul" and "Good For Your Soul (Remaster)". 

Presumably you only have a dozen or two duplicate albums, so there's very little retagging to be done.  Just retag the duplicates with unique album names.

I'm not sure if you know, but you can retag the album name on an entire album with just one operation.  Highlight the album, then in the tagging window, change the album name.  This will change it for all songs in the album.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 07:32:25 am »

PS:  If this isn't your style, carry on with what you are doing. 

The reason I'm advocating for unique album names is this:  In my experience you are going to encounter multiple places in MC and media management in general, where having a unique album name really helps.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up