INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Point to existing library?  (Read 385 times)

codewritinfool

Point to existing library?
« on: July 27, 2023, 10:11:36 pm »

Hello,
  I've been running JRiver for a year or two now on Debian and it works fine.  I just upgraded to v31, and now my library is empty.  I realize the path is different now and is not pointing to my old library, which is still present.

I realize I could backup my library in v29 and restore it in v31, but I don't see how I can just change the path to point to where it already exists.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Thanks,
code

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: Point to existing library?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 12:04:52 am »

In the menu bar, click Tools\Library Tools\Rename, Move and Copy Files…  Or just press F6.  You will likely need to use the Update Database to Point to New Location option.

Be sure to read this link to fully understand the process:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=post;topic=136635.0;last_msg=947043

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 07:13:14 am »

Restoring an MC29 backup is a lot easier.  MC makes them automatically.  Search for zip files.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 08:33:00 am »

Restoring an MC29 backup is a lot easier.  MC makes them automatically.  Search for zip files.
I was going to say the same thing Jim, that is, doing a restore is very quick and easy. I just thought I'd mention the other approach as well.

That said, why is "restoring an MC 29 backup a lot easier" than updating the database via RMC?  I haven't used the updating database option for many years now, but intuitively (for me anyway) it seems updating to a new drive letter would be faster than doing a library restore (even though a restore only takes a few minutes... unless you have 3 million songs I suppose).

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 08:58:03 am »

I've been running JRiver for a year or two now on Debian and it works fine.  I just upgraded to v31, and now my library is empty.  I realize the path is different now and is not pointing to my old library, which is still present.

The path isn't different unless you moved your media files (songs, videos, etc).  The issue is that MC for Linux and Mac do not automatically find the MC database from previous versions.

The MC database is what has the locations of all of your songs, their titles, artist names, etc.  All of the metadata associated with your media is in the MC database.

The only real way, on Linux and Mac, to get this information back into MC, is to restore a database backup. 
File > Library > Restore Library

Otherwise, you would have to start by re-importing your collection again.

A database backup can also (optionally) restore your settings.  So all those settings you have tweaked and changed in the last version, can also be ported over to the new version.  Just check the box for "settings" when you do your restore.

Brian.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 12:15:54 pm »

The path isn't different unless you moved your media files (songs, videos, etc).

I assumed the OP had moved the files to a different drive based on this:

I realize the path is different now and is not pointing to my old library, which is still present.

...but I guess he was more likely referring to the fact that there are now 2 library folders: one for MC 29 and one for MC 31. So yep, restoring the MC 29 library is the way to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up