INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Program becomes unresponsive [Solved]  (Read 594 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
Program becomes unresponsive [Solved]
« on: July 01, 2023, 08:23:28 am »

(This may also overlap with 'Slow downs and Lock Up' thread.)

I’m running MC 31, having recently upgraded from MC 30. Over the last 2-3 weeks, I’ve observed significant degradation in the performance of both builds.

The program in general is very sluggish. Search seems to take forever. More specifically, attempts to scroll through the Audio>Files view - which I most often use - results in hanging for varying but usually long periods of time. In many cases, the issue doesn’t resolve at all, and I need to kill the program.

(There are other actions that generate a hang, as well, but this is the most obvious.)

The issue is most noticeable when I attempt to use the mouse wheel on the slider on the right side of the program to scroll through a particular view. The first turn or two of the wheel moves the view rather grudgingly, then the slider simply stops and of course MC begins to hang.

I’ve attached the log file. I had Malwarebytes on the computer, which I’ve uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller with no luck, and I’m running Windows 10 updated.  There’s no evidence of a virus. I’ve configured Windows Defender per Awesome Donkey’s very useful instructions of a few years back.

Are there background processes I’ve overlooked that slow the program down? There's clearly something running that ties up the program. How do I access or modify them? I have a very large audio library - will the size slow down the program functions to this extent?

Thanks as always for any help you can provide.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Program becomes unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 08:32:45 am »

If you need to uninstall any antivirus you must do it with that program's uninstaller.  Now you should install the same version of malwarebytes again and then use its uninstaller, then reboot.

Using any special uninstaller like Revo should never be needed and could be risky.

From your description, it sounds like MC is waiting for the OS to read the files.

The size of the library isn't a problem.

Are you using MC in a client / server mode?  If so, are you using MC's Library Server on the server itself?  Or is it a NAS setup? 

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 03:38:56 pm »

Jim, MC is installed on the C Drive and accesses music files on 3 external hard drives and 2 NAS devices.  (There is no music on the C Drive.) With minimal lags in performance when accessing the remote music, MC performance has been smooth until recently. Oddly, when I access the library remotely using JDownloader on my smartphone, the music plays normally.

I can't attribute the degradation in performance to any events (e.g., installation of other programs) affecting operation of MC. Were you able to parse anything from the log files or do I need to send them again?

Happy 4th, by the way.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 04:01:50 pm »

Happy 4th.  May the 4th be with you.

I'm not the guy to read the logs, but I took a look at your previous log.  I see this:

0786344: 12688: Database: Thumbnail Thread (\\SYNOLOGYNAS\F Folder Transfer\#recycle\New 12-4-22\Billy Taylor - The Complete Recordings_ 1958-1962 (2014)\Billy Taylor - The Complete Recordings 1958-1962 FLAC\02 - Billy Taylor - My Ideal (1).flac): Finish (154848 ms)

I see you're using a Synology NAS.  You might try power cycling it.

I don't know if the #recycle in your path is normal.  You're not importing the trash folder are you?

You could look through the file to see what else you can spot.  Look for entries that take a lot of time.  For example, from above:
Finish (154848 ms)

That's 154,848 ms (milli-seconds) so 154 seconds.   

I also see some chatter with RST.  I imagine that means reset.  Some networking thing isn't going well.

If you're using the Synology's DLNA Server, don't.  Import files from the drive into MC, not use DLNA.

NAS drives do have bugs.  Updating the firmware might be worth trying.

When you say you're using multiple drives, are you using the NAS plus some USB drives? 

Sorry I can't help more.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 04:09:58 pm »

Also, is the MC library on the same drive as the program?  It should be.

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 07:24:07 am »

Library is now on C Drive. (For some reason, when backing up the library, it reverted to a remote location on an NAS.)

Library is located partially on 2 NAS devices (Disk Station+Synology), partially on 3 external drives ( E , F and G).

I've restored the library from the C Drive. Let's see what happens. Odd, that the problem materialized quite recently - that's been the alignment for quite a while. Ideally, everything would be in one location, on a local drive, but this is what I'm dealing with right not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 07:49:21 am »

The library being on a slow drive would cause problems.

That's a pretty messy drive situation.

Are the three external drives USB drives?  One big one would be better.  Make sure they are on USB 3.0 ports.

Power could also be a problem.

If you do add another drive, assign it to Z: to avoid conflicts when a drive isn't available.  Use MC to move the files.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 04:33:38 pm »

I think there's confusion here about the Library (the MC database files) and the Media Files (songs, videos, etc).

Jim wants to make sure that your database is on a fast drive and that it's an internal or directly attached drive.

Brian.

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 01:52:31 pm »

No confusion - we're all talking about the database files. When I created the library backup file (the data file, not the media itself), for some reason the target directory had shifted from the C Drive to one of the NAS devices. I don't recall doing it, but when I corrected that, the performance issues went away.

Sorry for any ambiguity. Thanks all for your responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up