INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Geometry Correction Comes to New Zealand for $20  (Read 3478 times)

fiegepils

• Recent member
Re: Geometry Correction Comes to New Zealand for $20
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2023, 04:18:27 pm »

how are you testing? i.e. what test pattern are you using to verify?
are you clicking apply each time you make a change?
are you using jrvr profiles? if so, are you updating the right profile?
I just use the JRiver Screen. It can be seen there. In the middle of the bottom there´s a bow about 20mmon my 120" screen. Can also be seen in the JVC Test pattern.
And yes, i clicked apply each time, but nothing happened.
I updated the profile Denon. That´s my AVR which is connected to the PC and the N5. The other Profile is the Acer monitor that´s connected to the PC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2023, 04:20:09 pm »

The correction only applies to video, not the interface. You need to test with actual video playback.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fiegepils

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2023, 12:39:55 pm »

Thanks a lot to all of you. Works like charm. No lumagen or envy needed, JRiver does it!

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2023, 06:29:28 am »

Can you guys help me out with where to start?  None of the adjustments I use seems to do what I need.

I have a bow top and bottom where the middle of the screen is bowed towards the center.  This is caused by my 1.33 anamorphic lens.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2023, 06:40:30 am »

Please see Hendrik's comment a couple of posts above yours.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2023, 06:45:32 am »

Can you guys help me out with where to start?  None of the adjustments I use seems to do what I need.

I have a bow top and bottom where the middle of the screen is bowed towards the center.  This is caused by my 1.33 anamorphic lens.
assume you're playing a pattern through MC not trying to use some built in pattern?

here's what I use for my lens, mine is placed pretty much centrally but with some vertical lens shift, perhaps it gives you an idea of how to approach it

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2023, 06:45:46 am »

Can't really tell from your photo because its at an angle, but from your description start with changing the Curvature Distortion Factor - Vertical (Y). Both positive and negative values are possible.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2023, 07:18:43 am »

I've got it now thanks.  It's hard to distinguish the picture from the projector beam so I have to concentrate on the actual picture to fine tune it. 

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2023, 06:19:05 am »

Having spent a lot of time now correcting my screen I want to verify I am doing it correctly.  I understand the software and how it works but want to make sure I am using it correctly.  Pictures are captures that I am using to try and show what is going on, obviously things look different on my screen through my 1.33 anamorphic lens.

Picture names with explanations -

Before - This is how my screen looks uncorrected with a bow in on top and bottom. 

Before Masking - I have been overscanning to make the center of the top and bottom touch the screen with the bow on left / right of top and bottom overscanned into the borders.  This results in no black bars around the screen but non-level lines on test pattern.

After - This is with geometry correction, the picture now negative bows outwards.  Through the anamorphic lens lines on test patterns are now perfectly "straight", meaning parallel to the screen borders.  Even if screen is not perfectly level (it is very close) I chose to square everything with the screen.

After Borders - This is my question, picture is now perfectly "straight" and square but I still have picture that has to be overscanned into the borders.  My assumption is that software is correcting the picture but obviously cannot correct the shape of the beam of light coming through the lens.  I think when you define screen borders with MadVR / Envy it is creating a new screen inside of the beam and just placing the picture into that new defined area while ignoring everything that is outside (which I believe also costs you resolution depending on how much you cut off the beam).  The JRiver correction is fixing the geometry but not cutting off any picture so still need to hide the bow of the light beam, correct?

Does this look / sound like I have done it correctly?  My picture is now "straight" but I still have overscan.  My screen is 2.35 so I have no issue with overscan, I have no choice with 2.39 films anyway, just want to make sure I have done this correctly.

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2023, 03:09:26 pm »

This might make the question easier, it may be difficult to see in the picture but everything is square and level, is the little bit of overscan normal?

murray

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2023, 03:23:30 pm »

You should be able to pull that last little bit out I believe. I dont have any of my sides being overscanned into the black masking.

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2023, 03:25:12 pm »

You should be able to pull that last little bit out I believe. I dont have any of my sides being overscanned into the black masking.

But your screen is curved correct?  Mine is flat.

murray

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2023, 03:27:17 pm »

But your screen is curved correct?  Mine is flat.
Correct but I certainly dont think that changes anything....

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2023, 03:31:14 pm »

Correct but I certainly dont think that changes anything....

The light beam itself coming out of the a lens is bowed, I believe I can fix the picture itself but not the beam.  Your curved screen is made for the anamorphic light beam.  At least I think all that is accurate?  Maybe someone with flat screen can confirm.

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2023, 03:37:16 pm »

Here is what uncorrected looks like.

murray

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2023, 03:41:06 pm »

Here is what uncorrected looks like.
Correct the bend even more and see what happens you should be able to take that out. Then you might be able to zoom the picture a bit smaller from the proj.

murray

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2023, 03:46:55 pm »

My situation is different to most and I have an issue also.
I really need two separate settings of geometry correction for my setup, 99% of others wouldn’t as they leave their “A” lens in place permanently.
As I use a cineslide and the “Isco IIIL” lens moves in front of the proj for scope and out for 16:9, plus a curved scope screen with automated masking 4 stops.

When the “A” lens is out of the light beam for 16:9 I have distortion at the bottom of the screen as the proj is level with the top of the screen, this distortion only happens on a curved screen. A flat screen produces no distortion at the bottom using lens shift.

So I need one set of geometry correction for 16:9, and another set for scope films. This could be done with two profiles but I want to operate these two settings manually (which we cant do in MC at present) so I can build them into my commands using Command Fusion.

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2023, 03:50:51 pm »

Correct the bend even more and see what happens you should be able to take that out. Then you might be able to zoom the picture a bit smaller from the proj.

I'm not sure you're understanding me.  It's not physically possible for the software to alter the shape of the light beam, all it can do is manipulate the picture inside of the light beam.  Nothing I do can make the light beam straight, all I can do is make the picture straight.

Its easier to look at the second line because then the light beam bend is out of play.

First pic is corrected second is not, you can see how the warping fixes it to perfectly straight, there is no other correction left its already straight.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2023, 04:03:28 pm »

Looks fine to me.  FWIW, I've a flat screen and I make sure that the edge just sits in the masking as in many setups, things will not be perfectly level and square and that is what the masking is designed to do.  Also, everything outside the edges of the picture with geometry correction applied (but in the beam) should be black anyway (or as black as your display can do) and fall into the masking.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up