INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug in MC31: Files/Folder disappear in Library after renaming [Solved]  (Read 323 times)

dber

• Recent member

After renaming some files (or after relocation the entire folder where this file is located) mysteriously disappears in the library and cannot be found anywhere (except in Windows Expolrer). A new import run exactly of this folder (or above) does not add any new files, except I changed the file (e.g., playing it via directly double-clicking in windows explorer). In the latter case it is re-imported (shown in import list) but neither the file nor its folder appears in MC. In MC28 this all works, all these files are displayed after importing them. Maybe a complete library delete and new import might solve the problem, but due to my collection (>100.000 files) this is not a permanent option as it must be done everytime after I renamed any file which happens regularly (e.g., because of mispelling).  Best regards, Dirk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bug in MC31: Files/Folder disappear in Library after renaming
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 06:11:51 am »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 06:51:25 am »

Renaming files outside of MC is not the best idea.  When you do this, it is as if you deleted the files and then added new ones. 

The right way to rename files or folders is to use MC to do it.  MC's Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool (RM&C) can do all of these types of tasks and do them correctly. 

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

When you use MC to do the renames, it knows which files moved where so the database stays consistent:  All of your tags stay the same including import date and all other custom tags you have defined, set, etc.

On occasion I do huge moves of my collection.  Usually things like moving my entire music folder from one drive to another.  In that example (moving from one drive to another) all of the structure stays the same, but the front part of the path (the drive letter) changes. 

In a case like this, I'll use an external tool to move the files, as moving gigabytes of data is not a good task for MC.  When I'm done with the move, I *inform* MC about my change by using RM&C. Inside RM&C there is a mode called "update database only".  Using that tool I can tell MC that I've changed file paths, select the files, select the paths to substitute and then press "OK".  It only takes a blink of an eye and MC has updated all of the paths to be correct.

RM&C is one of MC's best and most powerful features.  It will allow you to move your collection around on drives, copy your collection to new computers, rename subsets of your collection, and more.  Learn this tool and your mastery of MC will increase by several levels!

Best of luck.
Brian.

dber

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 10:24:44 am »

Thanks a lot for the advice, I will use the RM&C tool next time. Nonetheless, any idea how to find the "lost" files/directories so they appear in MC again? Best, Dirk

dber

• Recent member

PROBLEM SOLVED but maybe still a BUG?!  Finally, I managed to detect the cause of the "lost files": I had ripped a BlueRay disc (contains music only) into the same directory so after moving MC sorted this directory into the video category and displays the BlueRay file only (there). The import function completely ignores the music files (flac) in the same directory hence they are "lost" and cannot detected neither in MC's music, files or any other category. As this does not happen with videos (DVD) maybe this is an unintentional "feature" and should be corrected? Best, Dirk

PS: After moving the BlueRay subdirectories into a separte directory all works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up