INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume filter  (Read 388 times)

Kirky69

• Recent member
Volume filter
« on: July 22, 2023, 07:29:07 pm »

Hi all,
I've set-up a series of PEQ filters.I arranged things so that I was only including cuts rather than cuts and boosts. I followed the excellent guide by Mwillems and some of the questions in that thread and took note of the guidance to add a volume filter to DECREASE volume by the amount of max boost in a PEQ filter so as to avoid the chance of clipping. I thought, therefore, that with all the cuts in my PEQ filters I could (and should?) add a modest volume increase of a few dB. BTW, up to now I've been using System Volume with the slider at 100%, as my pre-amp (a Wadia di 122) has its own volume control.
Anyhow, I've noticed that in general terms the use of any more than 2 dB gain on my volume filter still allows some passages of music to cause peak level during playback to hit 100%. For example, the snare drum (I think) on Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters hit 100%, not for long, but the level still gets there!
Should I consider using Internal Volume or Volume Disabled? I don't really understand all the factors at play here but I'm starting to think that I should be using something other than System Volume. In JRiver wiki it says that Internal Volume gives the highest quality software volume, is that better than using Volume Disabled and relying upon the Wadia hardware? Is clip protection still active if I use volume disabled?
One final question, I presume some passages in some recordings will reach 100% peak level anyway, just as a result of the way the engineers have set-up for recording the music?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume filter
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 03:24:40 am »

Have a look at these threads:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96959.0
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=130074.0
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87105.0

FWIW I always use Internal Volume (I don't have an external volume control option) and never have any clipping issues (peak at around 35%).
Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 03:48:39 am »

One final question, I presume some passages in some recordings will reach 100% peak level anyway, just as a result of the way the engineers have set-up for recording the music?
assuming you use audio analysis then you can look at Peak Level (R128) to see the peak per channel, you will find that this is commonly close to or beyond 0dBTP. You can use volume levelling to automatically account for this and combine it with adaptive volume > peak level normalise to bring the level back up to a safe but close to full scale level.

If using PEQ cuts only then there is nothing to add back unless you've used PEQ as a volume control (i.e. large broadband cuts) so it's probably just an error to add volume on top of that PEQ (does depend on the shape of the PEQ you've used, https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129609.0.html is an app that lets you visually inspect the PEQ pulled direct from MC).

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 02:41:03 pm »

I recommend the following:

1.  Don't add any gain in your DSP filters, even to make up for some cut you are doing.  You can never guarantee that you volume add will not exceed clipping.  You apparently have seen this behavior in your system.  Remove any volume boost from the DSP EQ.
2.  Set MC's volume to 100%.  Use Internal Volume, or Disabled.
3.  Is the Wadia your only preamp?
  A.  If YES, then use the Wadia's volume control to control your overall sound output from your speakers.
  B.  If NO, Max out the Wadia volume control.  Then use your preamp's volume control to control the sound output from your speakers.

This should give you good sound without digital clipping.

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 02:48:37 pm »

This should give you good sound without digital clipping.
You need to use the options mentioned in order to automatically deal with intersample overs

Kirky69

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 07:43:57 am »

Thank you for all the information and the links, much appreciated!
PK
Pages: [1]   Go Up