INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD (SaCd) on Marantz SR 7012 with Bitstream = Yes  (Read 348 times)

Riki

• Recent member
DSD (SaCd) on Marantz SR 7012 with Bitstream = Yes
« on: July 21, 2023, 05:53:00 am »

I have SaCd in Iso format.
I have Asio device
When i play my SaCd ..... nothing.
Sr 7012 is able to reproduce DSD Audio Streaming up to DSD5.6
I used this guide: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

There is way to play this files (and other in dfs format)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD (SaCd) on Marantz SR 7012 with Bitstream = Yes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 06:41:40 am »

How are you connected to the device?

If its HDMI, then DSD bitstreaming is probably not possible.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Riki

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 07:14:08 am »

I have connect my PC with Hdmi.
Other audio format (dts-x, ecc) works fine.

There is away to play DSD without resampling?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 07:29:21 am »

You should be able to play DSD through HEOS. The Marantz should show up as an option under Playing Now. You can check under Services (bottom of tree) Media Network and SSDP (Device Discovery) to be sure MC is seeing the Marantz. Try connecting to the 7012 as a network device and set the device to not convert DSD

Some people have had problems connecting to HEOS in the past, so if you cannot connect do some searching on HEOS on this forum. I think most eventually get it to work.

DSD over HDMI on PCs is a general limitation due to lack of support on the PC. It is not a Marantz or MC issue.  DSD over HDMI is generally supported by SACD players.

USB is the standard for using DSD, but these receivers do not connect to PCs via USB. The USB is only used for storage devices.

Good luck.

braunsch

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 04:07:43 pm »

A troublesome combination… DSD and a good receiver.

You can connect the Marantz to MC as a DLNA renderer. I think it just becomes a player in the MC tree structure. For this player, you can configure that you want to send bitstream (=DSD) data. I got that to work on mine at some point in time.
Downside: The Marantz does not process multichannel DSD music over the network (DLNA) interface, only stereo, but for stereo, it works really well.

Alternatively, you can have a Blu-Ray/SACD player (I have a Sony X800M2). You can set that up in MC as a (DLNA) renderer/player - with bitstreaming (DSD) on. It works for multichannel and it can pass the DSD signal directly, over the HDMI cable, to the Marantz.
Downside: The Sony (and apparently no Blu-ray player, not even the famous Oppo players) can play your music gapless. You will always have about 2 seconds of a gap between tracks, interrupting e.g. the applause of a live recording.

Use a computer with HDMI? You can’t really do that either: In order to get the DSD signal to the HDMI port, your computer would need to be able to join the DSD signal to a video signal (if the video stops on HDMI, the music stops, too). Computer graphics cards  (which drive the output to the HDMI port) can’t do that, they can only do PCM. That’s why you can’t send the DSD signal to the HDMI output of a computer, it’s not MC, and not the receiver. People thought about that and invented “DoP”. DSD over PCM. You hide the DSD signal in a PCM formatted data stream, which the graphics card can process. On the receiving end, you unpack your DoP signal and get the original DSD stream back. However, Marantz can’t decode DoP back to DSD, at least the 7012 can’t….

My solution: I bought a fanless  mini PC and installed Media Center on it - and use PCM over HDMI between the PC and my Marantz, at 176 kHz. Which will typically be fine, because, if you use any of the goodies in your Marantz, e.g., Audyssey, the receiver will convert to PCM anyway. The only way to trigger the Marantz into a direct D/A conversion from DSD to analog (yes, it can do that!) is to put it into Direct or Pure Direct mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up