INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expand All Sub-Categories in View  (Read 1197 times)

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Expand All Sub-Categories in View
« on: July 26, 2023, 08:19:05 am »

Is there an option to expand all sub-categories in a view? For example, I have a view that displays all albums grouped by artist. I can right-click the view header and expand all artists, but I can only expand all albums one at a time for each artist.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Expand All Sub-Categories in View
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 09:10:33 am »

I don't use it, but if you use "Panes" as your view, I believe it does this by default. 

Right click on your view and select "Customize View".  In the box select "Panes" in the "View As" dropdown box.

You could actually make a new view if you want to save the old one as a convenience in this manner.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 03:30:30 pm »

The Panes view is one of the most powerful and highly customizable features that MC has -  I highly recommend spending time learning the numerous ways that you can configure it.

That said, there are a myriad of routes you can take to achieve your goal.  In the attached pic, I used the categories view to show all the artists in the tree (be sure to check "support tree browsing" box in the customize view dialog).  You also need to ensure you choose the correct thumbnail view option to display it as shown.  In addition, in the 2nd pic I show how I group all the artists by the 1st sort letter (I use last name, first name).  That way, I can bite off smaller chunks of artists to browse through.

Bottom line, you just have to dive in and start experimenting with all the different ways you can configure a view - it really is endless.  If you can't show things exactly as you want out of the box, just keep experimenting and you will eventually get there.

Best of luck.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 07:57:41 am »

Great tips. Thanks for the feedback.

What I'm specifically looking for is the ability to right click at the top of the view and have an option for Expand All and Collapse All, similar to the new option for Tags. Maybe this would have to be a new feature request?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 12:45:20 pm »

What I'm specifically looking for is the ability to right click at the top of the view and have an option for Expand All and Collapse All, similar to the new option for Tags
Have you tried the view mouse-hover sub-menu "List Styles > Thumbnails" v.s. "List Styles > Details"?  The first shows just thumbnails, while the latter expands the view to show all your columns.  The action occurs "on the fly" in both Categories and Panes views.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 07:10:44 pm »

Have you tried the view mouse-hover sub-menu "List Styles > Thumbnails" v.s. "List Styles > Details"?  The first shows just thumbnails, while the latter expands the view to show all your columns.  The action occurs "on the fly" in both Categories and Panes views.

That is what I was also trying to imply with this line from my reply:
You also need to ensure you choose the correct thumbnail view option to display it as shown.

Maybe the OP has experimented further and figured this out by now.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 07:03:30 am »

I have done that, but still not what I'm looking for.  Maybe a screenshot would help clarify?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 07:23:19 am »

I am making the assumption you are able to eventually get a view you want, you just can't get there in an efficient manner… Is that correct?  If so, a screenshot that shows how you want things ultimately displayed would unquestionably be of help... a picture being worth a thousand words as the saying goes.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 07:18:08 am »

The options are already there to expand and collapse the top-level, but not drill down several levels throught the tree.

The first screenshot shows the categories fully expanded, the second shows fully collapsed.

I am looking for an option to right-click on the view name (in my example Artists/Year/Albums) and select Expand All Artists/Year/Albums. Ideally this would expand however many levels deep the categories are grouped.

The second screenshot shows the categories fully collapsed in the view. The option would be to right-click on the view name and select Collapse All Artists/Year/Albums.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 08:05:49 am »

So the goal is to see everything expanded in the Tree? I assumed the main content area was what you were talking about. So yes…  predictably, a picture was clarifying. ;D

In any event, have you never clicked on the very 1st item under the view name, where it says All Album Artists (1885) (see attached pic)?  That expands everything with one click.  And if you right-click on that same item after it's expanded, the menu has an option to collapse everything with one click.

Does that solve the problem?  It couldn't be that easy, could it?

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 09:24:46 am »

It's close but not the same. That does show all content, but in a flat view. It doesn't show it in a tree listing, ie, grouped/nested categories. See the screenshot below.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 09:56:43 am »

I'm always surprised that anyone uses the tree view at all.  I guess it's too much like using a directory navigator on a file system for me.

Have you tried a Panes view?  It's so much more powerful and flexible.  I think you might enjoy it.

Brian.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2023, 10:01:30 am »

Yes I've used the pane view for different purposes. But I find the tree view more efficient to navigate.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2023, 10:47:26 am »

It's close but not the same. That does show all content, but in a flat view. It doesn't show it in a tree listing, ie, grouped/nested categories. See the screenshot below.
I don't think it is possible to have the tree view show with a single click, fully expanded AND sub-grouped by album (or year or whatever). It is displayed like that in the main content area however, which IMO is preferable anyway.  That said, like Brian, I don't use the feature tree for navigation, but maybe somebody who does knows of a way to achieve what you want in the tree. Otherwise, putting in a feature request as you previously speculated is likely required.

I have to say I am with Brian here:
I'm always surprised that anyone uses the tree view at all.  I guess it's too much like using a directory navigator on a file system for me.

Have you tried a Panes view?  It's so much more powerful and flexible.  I think you might enjoy it.
The Panes view is both insanely powerful and customizable.  You can easily show your entire library grouped by albums with tracks underneath (or just show the album thumbnails), and then filter that using fine-tuned combinations of metadata to drill down in all sorts of useful ways.

Wanting MC to mimic Windows Explorer navigation (hands-down the worst file explorer… ever!) is mystifying to me - that just throws away all the power, and the whole point really, of having/using a dedicated media program.  But alas, people want what they want  ;D.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2023, 10:55:02 am »

As you said, everyone has their own preferences. I will submit a request. Perhaps there are other users who have a similar requirement.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2023, 11:07:29 am »

Perhaps there are other users who have a similar requirement.
no doubt that there are

One more tidbit regarding Panes that I imagine some users may not be aware of:
If you click any item in any Pane and start typing, MC instantly filters what is shown below.  If you click on any Artist in the Artist Pane and type "Joh..." for example, MC instantly goes to 1st matching item (John Lee Hooker perhaps), and filters the display below to match.  This is a very quick way to go to a specific artist via Panes. 

Note that this is typing anywhere in MC window after clicking on a Panes item...  there is no need to type in the search box.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2023, 11:30:29 am »

As you said, everyone has their own preferences. I will submit a request. Perhaps there are other users who have a similar requirement.
Interesting idea.  Thanks - I've overlooked the usefulness of the tree for simple fast navigation.  It functions like a quick scrolled "pick" index with the tree selection immediately appearing in the Content Panel as a dedicated tab (electronic Rolodex :)), complementing more general and complex tabs.  Also nice that if the current view tab is locked then the tree selection opens a new unlocked view tab.

However I would not want to entirely lose the current "single level at a time" Expand functionality, since it includes a large "vertical" range per screenful (which can be a significant advantage, depending on your search goal).  How about single click on "Expand" menu item preserves current behavior, while double click "Expand" fully expands to all depths from current point, showing all subgroups as you request?  This would also maintain the current RMB menu structure in the tree.

Also consider:  single click directly on a tree expansion arrow does a one level expand, or collapse if already expanded (both are current behavior); double click on the arrow does a full expand from that point (new behavior), thereby avoiding a trip to the RMB menu.  This would apply to any expansion level arrow in the Tree pane.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2023, 12:27:18 pm »

A double-click to expand the entire tree is perfectly acceptable. What I was picturing was something similar to what was implemented on the Tag menu, ie, right-click to pop-up Expand All and Collapse All. Those could be added to the right-click pop-up menu for views right under the existing Expand and Collapse for the single-level tree.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2023, 12:38:13 pm »

A double-click to expand the entire tree is perfectly acceptable.
I much prefer that double-click on a tree level arrow should fully expand the current branch (i.e. expand only sub-levels of that clicked arrow), not the entire tree as currently happens in the Tag menu.

Full expansion could be reserved for a menu option as you suggest.  Personally, I don't currently see myself needing a complete expansion across all Audio views as well as whatever else is in the tree (if that is what you mean), though it would be "locally" useful.   Closing all sub-levels by a menu item would be helpful to immediately collapse the whole shebang without having to scroll around looking for the highest sub-level arrow.

7/31/2023 Edited.
8/3/2023   Correction:  Clicking anywhere on the tree level heading text (not just the small arrow) currently performs the expand/collapse action.  This is a good thing and should be maintained.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2024, 09:17:03 am »

What is the process for requesting a new feature like this?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 11:34:15 am »

I suggest opening a New Topic in the JRiver Media Center 32 for Windows section of this forum, with descriptive title "Feature Request: xxxxx".  There is also a long thread "Make A Wish" in that section - you could submit it there.  I don't think JRiver is developing anything new for MC 31.

Include a concise description of exactly what you want.  A convincing justification for your use case may help.  Add a hyperlink to this thread as a reference.

Monitor it and hope for the best  :)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 12:44:47 pm »

Currently we can expand/collapse a node with SHIFT+left/right, similar to Windows explorer. Perhaps SHIFT+CTRL+left/right could expand/collapse all nodes (as shortcuts to the new right-click context menu options)

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 10:27:44 am »

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it at collection level and it did expand the node. However, when I click on the top level node for the View, nothing happens. I will submit a feature request.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2024, 01:08:17 pm »

Currently we can expand/collapse a node with SHIFT+left/right, similar to Windows explorer. Perhaps SHIFT+CTRL+left/right could expand/collapse all nodes (as shortcuts to the new right-click context menu options)
Thanks for that.  I find all the arrow keys nicely navigate and drill up/down through my Tree's Media Views.  However I get exactly the same one-level expansion (right arrow) or one-level collapse (left arrow) whether or not I use a shift key.  For example, <shift><right arrow> and <right arrow> do exactly the same thing.  If confirmed, then I would prefer <shift><right arrow> and <shift><left arrow> as the keyboard shortcuts for respectively expanding/collapsing all levels in the Tree Media Viiew.

Another observation:  Clicking the small tree arrow on the topmost header of a Tree Media View, or using <left arrow> on the topmost header, collapses all of that view's expanded tree levels, even when the branch is fully expanded.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2024, 03:16:50 pm »

Yes I do use those tools to expand and collapse tree headers. I did submit the request today. Hopefully I'm not the only person in the universe that is looking for that functionality, but who knows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up