INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitle problem when using black bar detection  (Read 274 times)

jespermart

• Recent member
Subtitle problem when using black bar detection
« on: July 26, 2023, 01:14:05 pm »

When using black bar detection I have the following problem, my subtitles are moved up from the bottom of the picture

https://adobe.ly/3Ob3EoR With black bar detection

https://adobe.ly/3q8msgE Without black bar detection

Is it a bug or is there any other explanation?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Subtitle problem when using black bar detection
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 02:49:50 am »

Cropping and subtitles don't fully integrate with each other yet. One of the problems is that if you actually moved your image, the subtitles would be potentially off-screen, so it repositions them into the active image, since it doesn't know any better yet.
Since the subtitles are being affected, this must be bitmap subtitles, so we can't really tell where in the image the text is. It might be in the black bars, and you just cropped those off. So its not necessarily safe to put them there anymore.

Although is there a reason you crop black bars if the image doesn't actually change as a result?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jespermart

• Recent member
Re: Subtitle problem when using black bar detection
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 04:24:04 am »

Cropping and subtitles don't fully integrate with each other yet. One of the problems is that if you actually moved your image, the subtitles would be potentially off-screen, so it repositions them into the active image, since it doesn't know any better yet.
Since the subtitles are being affected, this must be bitmap subtitles, so we can't really tell where in the image the text is. It might be in the black bars, and you just cropped those off. So its not necessarily safe to put them there anymore.

Although is there a reason you crop black bars if the image doesn't actually change as a result?

Usually I move the picture on my Jvc N5 to the bottom of the projector screen, I try to achieve the same effect as madVR (move picture to the bottom on the screen) and (crop black bars).
My movies are 1:1 rips of my original movies placed in bd folders on my synology NAS 1819+ and subtitles are in PGS format and not bmp format. The pictures were just to show an example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up