INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded my router - JRemote2 can no longer access library server [Solved]  (Read 816 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen

I upgraded my router to a new TP-Link AX5400. Everything on my network is running fine. All my wired and wireless devices are connected to our home network and the Internet.

However, I can no longer connect to my Media Center library/server. I didn't change any of the setting within JR Media Center, including the access key. I have a couple of devices that I use for running JRemote2 - my Pixel 6a smartphone and an iPad. Neither of them can connect to the server.

When I try to connect using the access key, I get the message, "no SSL/TLS server port found."

I'm sure there's something obvious that I'm missing here. Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Firewall or port forwarding.

Network Access topic on our wiki.

Just a local connection?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen

I cleaned up my firewall settings under Windows 11. I think there were conflicting settings. Anyhow it is working now.

Just curious (because I am not a networking/security pro), under allowed apps, my list includes Media Center and Media Center Extenders.

These apps are now set to allow both private and public.

Questions-
Do I need to allow both of these apps to communicate through my Windows Defender Firewall?
Should I have both private and public enabled?

Before making the changes that solved this problem, there were multiple listings for Media Center, one with private only enabled, and the other with only public enabled. So I deleted one instance and enabled both private and public. Media Center Extenders had only private enable, so I edited it to enable both private and public.

Also, this new router supports port forwarding, which I want to try so I can access my library when using JRemote2 outside my local network. I will read the wiki to learn how to get this working.

Thanks

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen

I have a couple of other questions related to the setting for the media network.

Should I enable authentication? Is this only needed if I want the library sync to work? By library sync, I assume this means that when a track is played by a device running JRemote2, the play count gets updated on the library server. Is that right?

There's a checkbox for authentication. Below this is the section for read-only authentication. Are these 2 settings related (it's not clear to me because one is authentication, and the other is read-only authentication)?

I currently don't have authentication checked. For security purposes, should I?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy

If your instance of MC is visible on the internet or you like to control it from the internet via JRemote or similar then yes I would enable authentication for security (in addition to standard network security steps).

The other reason to enable authentication is if you have client instances of MC in your setup and you want to be able to make changes to the library on the client and then sync them to the server.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen

Just an update.

I've been able to get everything working. I can load my library to multiple devices running JRemote2 - my Pixel 6a smartphone, my iPad, and an NVIDIA Shield. I can move outside my LAN and listen to my library because port forwarding now works.

I think cleaning up my firewall settings helped. Another thing that helped was changing a setting in my router (TP-Link AX5400) that assigned a reserved IP address for my computer running JRiver Media Center. This way, I don't need a static IP address. The reserved IP address accomplishes the same thing (I think).

bob

• Administrator

Just an update.

I've been able to get everything working. I can load my library to multiple devices running JRemote2 - my Pixel 6a smartphone, my iPad, and an NVIDIA Shield. I can move outside my LAN and listen to my library because port forwarding now works.

I think cleaning up my firewall settings helped. Another thing that helped was changing a setting in my router (TP-Link AX5400) that assigned a reserved IP address for my computer running JRiver Media Center. This way, I don't need a static IP address. The reserved IP address accomplishes the same thing (I think).
Using a reserved address for MC is always going to give the best results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up