INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to switch btw wired routers easily?  (Read 515 times)

Maitlandfan

• Recent member
How to switch btw wired routers easily?
« on: August 04, 2023, 01:55:22 am »

Hi,

I move between two locations with my IdPi and attach with ethernet cable to a router or a mobile router. For the moment, each time I have to use a monitor and keyboard to invoke the network manager, uncheck the default button for profile A, switch to profile B, check the default button, connect, reboot IdPi, reboot the router. Otherwise, without this process, it does not connect properly, no matter how long I wait or how many time I reboot the IdPi and the router. Switching between WIFI looks easier.

I have both routers DHCP on, one profile has fix ip address, the other is not fixed and uses DHCP address.

Is there an easier way to make it switch automatically between two cabled routers? Is the fix address from the IdPi side a problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to switch btw wired routers easily?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 02:03:21 am »

Try using DHCP in both places.  It should work.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 05:44:37 am »

Yeah, why not use static leases in both routers? That way, you can keep the comfort of DHCP but still have de facto static IP addresses.
END OF LINE.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 09:45:41 am »

Yeah, why not use static leases in both routers? That way, you can keep the comfort of DHCP but still have de facto static IP addresses.
I do this with all of my Id's at home so they get the same address.
Makes it easy to manage them with remote desktop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 11:15:54 am »

I use DHCP for everything now.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 12:00:28 pm »

It’s really convenient, yes. If the router OS is good, then you can do a lot with DHCP. I have also configured it to only talk to known clients (i.e. known MAC address) and ignore all others. However, I only use DHCP for regular clients. Switches, access points and servers as well as all IPMI have a static IP so they remain reachable even if the router (or wherever is running your DHCP service) is down.
END OF LINE.

Maitlandfan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 07:58:20 am »

Many thanks all of you for the advises.

So I unchecked the static IP box in both profiles of the network manager (maybe I didn't need to create an additional profile since both use DHCP), shut down the IdPi, turn on again, connected the other mobile router. It allocated an ip address to the IdPi only after another ethernet cable unplug, plug, reboot, turn off and on of the router. Maybe it is a problem of my mobile router, but both the mobile router and the IdPi seems to be shy and very slow in allocating an ip address. I 'll try to fix an ip direct to the MAC address from the mobile router side and see if it is better. 

When I attached again to my main router, it immediately connected. Anyway, I can now move to another place without carrying a keyboard. I had created a new profile, fixed the ip form the IdPi side and turned off the wifi following a previous post "IdPi Purchase and Setup Details" but I couldn't connect to the mobile router for days and had to unplug the power cord. Fortunately it didn't do damage to the SD card but this setup in definitely not recommended for those switching between ethernet routers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up