INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server connection  (Read 821 times)

BK

• nothing more to say...
Media Server connection
« on: January 05, 2003, 07:55:07 pm »

I have a home network with a Netgear router.  The computer running Media Server has an IP address of 192.168.0.2.  How do I connect to this computer from outside my network?

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server connection
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 08:45:20 pm »

You'll need to set the router's NAT function  to pass incoming requests on port 80 (or whatever port media server is listening on) to 192.168.0.2.  Check the netgear docs and website.

Once that's done you'd co nnect to the router using public ip address and port.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

mm1434

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Server connection
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 01:45:32 pm »

I tried to get this to work with an earlier version of MJ about a year or so ago (the idea of a centralized database where you only have to manage once - I have 5 pcs and a mac hooked up at home - is really cool.)  I couldn't see my internal stuff let alone outside my network.  (Although the MJ guys could..)

With 8 I've got it working perfectly internally and expect that once the NAT routing is set, it will work externally.  DSL will be tough to get to work as the IP changes and you have to log in.  With the router, the IP will still change which will screw you up.  I'm on cable now, so the external (what the world sees) stays the same.  All the NAT setting does is route any request from the outside world to the internal network IP address/port you specify..

I'm going to give it a try on Monday when I get to work...  I'm not sure that I can get outside of work's security tho...

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up