INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RME ADI-2 DAC FS ASIO driver not available in JRiver Media Center  (Read 1160 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Been enjoying my ADI-2 for about a year now. I use it with MC as the main audio interface/headphone amp (via USB) for my personal desktop workstation. I am running Windows 10 22H2 with the very latest ADi-2 driver set (June 2023)

Now - for all this time - when using this DAC with MC - all I can ever remember is the device being able to play EVERYTHiNG I could throw at it - in all possible sample rates and bit depths (44/16. 24/88.2, 24/96 etc) It would switch effortlessly between all different sample rates/bit depths with instant ease.

But yesterday - I was cruising around my FLAC library firing up different albums in different rates when MC suddenly started displaying its usual "Something went wrong with Playback" "Playback could not be started using..."

Which always means a driver issue. So off I go to check the driver that MC is using with the ADi-2 and I see only two specific RME drivers offered:

RME ADi-2 [WASAPI]
RME ADi-2 [Direct Sound]

Two oddball MADIface choices:

MADIface Analog (1+2) (Kernel Streaming)
MADIface SPDIF (Kernel Streaming)

And a selection of what appear to be generic Windows choices:

Default Audio Device (WASAPI)
Default Audio Device (Direct Sound)

and finally, two MC specific choices

Disk Writer
Null Output

But NO ASIO option for the ADi-2 FS. (I believe it is supposed to be called MADIface USB?)

Now - for the life of me - I cannot remember if I ever actually had this driver option to choose - but on the other hand - I also thought I had been using the RME ADi-2 [WASAPI] driver option (In MC) all along and it usually had no issues playing back anything?

As soon as this started going south yesterday - I tested each of the RME options above and exactly none of them can navigate FLAC files with different sample rates in MC - they all display the Playback error message. But - I could swear this was working beautifully up to about 6 weeks ago when I was poking around the library?

The only specific change to this equation was the standard driver (v 0.9824) and firmware update from the last week of July. Usually this process is flawless - but clearly something is not right here - any ideas on why this is suddenly not working?

VP

Manfred

Re: RME ADI-2 DAC FS ASIO driver not available in JRiver Media Center
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 02:46:14 am »

I had a similar problem with my AD-2 DAC FS (USB) but with Win11. What solved it for me: Unistall the Driver completely ->reboot> New installation of the driver. Also check that the firmware matches the driver release. In MC you should have ASI MADIFACE USB [ASIO] and under Win11 ->System-> Sound: Analog (1+2) RME ADI-2DAC if you use the analog out's.

You can also post it in the rme Forum its an rme driver <-> Win OS issue.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 06:59:06 am »

I had a similar problem with my AD-2 DAC FS (USB) but with Win11. What solved it for me: Unistall the Driver completely ->reboot> New installation of the driver. Also check that the firmware matches the driver release. In MC you should have ASI MADIFACE USB [ASIO] and under Win11 ->System-> Sound: Analog (1+2) RME ADI-2DAC if you use the analog out's.

Worked like a charm! I think I went a bit far with the removal - I cleaned the device, drivers, registry - every possible reference to RME and then started over.

For your method - did you just uninstall drivers? (Settings>Apps). When I took a look in the Apps panel - there were 5 sets of drivers in there spanning at least a year since I purchased the unit. I tried to hack my way through them in order (oldest to newest) but several entries in there gave me this huge error box that covered the half the screen telling me the setup.inf files were missing etc.

While I love everything about RME - they do need to do something about their driver installer - it should clean up ALL old references when installing a new updated driver set.

Cheers

VP

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 07:36:40 am »

did you just uninstall drivers?
yes.

there were 5 sets of drivers in there spanning at least a year since I purchased the unit.
I had 2 sets of drivers some time ago. It should not have no effect (rme forum).

I think your and my problem has to do with the new ADI-2 Remote Free Download (you can do all settings now in a new iPad App). Too many changes.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adi-2-remote-for-ipad/id6449708476
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 08:00:54 am »

I think yoo and my problem has to do with the new ADI-2 Remote Free Download (you can do all settings now in a new iPad App). Too much changes.

Saw that new app - but it's not installed here. But you may be right.

However - it is very unlike RME to have something go crazy with their drivers - this is first incident that I have seen in years.

I am going to take a higher road when changing out drivers on the ADI-2 from now on. Going to strip the old ones off first and then install the new ones.

Cheers

VP

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 03:37:07 pm »

For the record, I noticed same problem today on Win11 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS:  RME ASIO driver no longer available in MC.

Per suggestions above, I did a simple uninstall / reboot of all RME software (MADIface win 09827 and Remote ADI2 Win 1.3).   Then reinstall MADIface (twice) - problem fixed.  Then reinstall Remote, problem remains fixed.

So I concur, most likely there is an ongoing issue with the RME MADIface installer.  Definitely something to watch out for.

Win 11 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)    MC 31.0.68
Pages: [1]   Go Up