INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 bit source can't get 16 bit out on HDMI?  (Read 706 times)

Theswede

• Recent member
16 bit source can't get 16 bit out on HDMI?
« on: August 12, 2023, 12:58:09 pm »

New here but not to these topics and have been using MediaCenter since version 27 albeit on and off but now think 31 might replace all my other stuff :)

So I've started making some changes to the PC's I use for this to try and get the most out of the set up.

On one of my PC's, I "replaced" an old GeForce GT710 changing the CPU to a Ryzen 7 5900G with integrated graphics on a MSI B450 motherboard and now I can't get 16/48 out to my AVR whatever I do (it worked with the GT710). Even if I set windows to 16/48 the AVR sees 24/48 and MC sends 24/48 bit padded on 16 bit sources. If I set it to 16/44 in windows the AVR get a 16/44 bit stream.
The AVR has really good processing so I want it to get the tagging right and set the optimal processing alternatively let MC do dithering and resampling.

Even if 24 bit padded is maybe ok'ish with MC it does not work when using Youtube within MC so still a concern.

Anyone come across this and found a solution?

Theswede

• Recent member
Re: 16 bit source can't get 16 bit out on HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 03:57:54 am »

I decided to reverse the build including the BIOS version but it makes no difference and now I wonder how I knew it used to do 16 bits as there is just no way I can make it work within windows.

It could be the AVR F/W versions dealing with it differently, I have two of the same model but a few years/fw versions apart.

Theswede

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 04:14:59 am »

Just to close this, it was the AVR firmware on my "test" AVR that reported the audio bits as 24 even if they were 16.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 07:48:29 am »

Thanks for the report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up