INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RPi implementation path  (Read 521 times)

farreln

• Recent member
RPi implementation path
« on: August 13, 2023, 03:29:05 pm »

I have 3 RPis with HifiBerry DAC+ACD Pro boards in individual cases which have been used for real-time online music sessions with JackTrip. As one or two are now excess, I am hoping to end up with outdoor music options. Apologies for the basic and likely naive question to follow.

All our audio files reside on a Mac mini running MC31. Currently we can play music on server to the living room stereo or on our phones/tablets which have JRemote. I picture setting up one RPi with output to powered speakers on our covered, well protected deck.

Can I update the RPi, get wireless going, plug/wire everything together and play/stream to it as we play to our phones/tablets or must I load Id software, MC or something else?

If additional software is needed - Id or MC image - is the RPi in this mode acting as a renderer, player or something else?

What facilitates playing from MC (on the Mac mini) wirelessly to our phones/tablets where MC is not installed. Is it JRemote or is MC streaming to any capable and configured wireless node out there?

Thanks,
Norman

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: RPi implementation path
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 09:33:28 am »

The protocol is DLNA which is a superset of UPnP.
In my house I have several Pi's running Id firmware (minimum required is Pi 3b)
A Sonos Play:3
and Volumio firmware also on a Pi 3b.
They are all DLNA renderers and are sent tracks from a Id NUC (dedicated MC linux server) with all of my material on it.
I send the tracks to the various renderers using JRemote which is a remote to the Id NUC server.
Any version of MC (Mac, linux or Windows) can act as a server.

farreln

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 10:18:00 am »

Thank you Bob. I have ordered the IdPi microSD since that seems easiest.

The standard "official" images I have used do not recognize the HifiBerry DAC (they try to use onboard sound) so I have to edit /boot/config.txt in order to bring the DAC into play (all documented by HifiBerry). Will this be the same with the Id image provided?

Norman

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 11:36:15 am »

Thank you Bob. I have ordered the IdPi microSD since that seems easiest.

The standard "official" images I have used do not recognize the HifiBerry DAC (they try to use onboard sound) so I have to edit /boot/config.txt in order to bring the DAC into play (all documented by HifiBerry). Will this be the same with the Id image provided?

Norman
Yes.
That didn't used to be the case because the hifiberry devices have a eeprom which helps the OS select the overlay however the latest versions of the Raspberry Pi OS implement an updated method which can't read the hifiberry eeprom properly.

You can edit that pretty easily on most operating systems since it's in a dos partition.
I needed to add this for a hifiberry amp2

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

farreln

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 12:43:40 pm »

Thank you. I've done that enough times!
Pages: [1]   Go Up