INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 11 - Rename, Move Copy  (Read 521 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Windows 11 - Rename, Move Copy
« on: August 12, 2023, 07:24:26 pm »

This is a new Windows 11 PC but no other application is having an issue like this.
I have a folder in C:\ with a copy of some of my music from my main library server that I am using for some testing.
When I do a rename operation [F6] that changes the folder or filename, it provides no error, the library updates, however now if I try and play the file, it is missing - as neither the path or the filename actually changed on the disk.
I can go change it in File Explorer to match the library and it then works. I'm the same user for MC and File explorer so does not look like any permissions thing.

Tried running as Administrator, am logged in as the same user that installed the application, checked Windows Security, moved the main music folder, copied it elsewhere, always the same thing, MC13 does not see to be able to change file paths or filenames.
No errors, until I try to tag, play of generally access the file, then MC31 cannot find it.

Thoughts?

As a note - Double checked that if I update the tags in the file, and check with mediainfo, they are updated. Seems it's just changing path or filename ??

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows 11 - Rename, Move Copy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 08:27:11 pm »

You'll want to run the tool in "Update database" mode first to get your filenames and database to match. Once they match (you can confirm by playing a few tracks), then you can switch to rename mode to move them wherever you want.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 12:33:18 am »

This is something I've never used in over 20 versions of MC, but checking it is currently in the "Update Database . . . ." and all the files play fine within MC at the moment. MC seems to know correctly where they are and what they are called. The reason I'm doing this is because I needed to export them to a NVMe drive for a car, that handles music tagging like Musicmatch did back in the 90's. I transcoding to a device in MC to make sure the tagging is how I need it.
Only when I attempt to rename the file (so my files somewhat match my tags), based on the rules I've used for years, does it not actually do it, no error, but updates the DB and hence then doesn't play, until I revert the change so the DB matches the path/filename. It's as if the file is read only, but as the same user I can change it using File explorer, and the file doesn't indicate RO attributes.

Maybe I'm missing something basic, My MC has just worked with my library for literally a couple of decades. It's upgraded over years from about MC11.
Help for that page does not explain the various modes at the top of the Rename, Move, Copy window.
Full disclosure, this is a copy of the directory with all the media, and a restore of a backup library file from a MC29 instance.
Never had issues before moving machines and having a new MC "take over" a previous version library folder.

Apologies if I'm missing something about this mode, checked the forum and the wiki and it seems to be similar operations when I moved my library between hardware and the storage drive/path changed, that was an easy update and MC was back in sync.

[Edit] I also tried removing a couple of albums and re importing them again.
I'm beginning to think I need to wipe this Windows 11 install (pre installed on a NUC) and start a fresh with my own, even though this has barely anything installed to date and almost totally un customized.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 12:51:40 am »

You could probably use MC's Handheld Sync to load the drive.  Wiki?

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 12:15:45 pm »

Jim, That is exactly what I'm doing :-)
MC is, I'm pretty sure the only piece of software that I buy just about every year and have done since MC 11.
Most other software either became redundant or didn't keep up with alternatives. MC is still always in use and nothing comes close to its capabilities for media I own, which I'm old school and still buy.

The feature I needed was the ability to remap Tag's during the conversion and transfer, which I see has been asked for a number of releases.
Without that, it was easier to make a copy of the library, make the changes without impacting my main library which is used heavily in the house, then set up the Car's USB Disk as a Device in MC.

You need to work with Mr Musk and explain what Album Artist, Disc # and Gapless playback is all about.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 12:18:07 pm »

We've got a cage fight on the calendar.

You can use Handheld Sync to convert on-the-fly.  I suppose you know that.

If you can give exact specs, we might be able to make a change.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 01:40:27 pm »

Basically I needed the ability to map Album Artist > Artist on the fly was the biggest need.
As Tesla uses Artist to build album lists and not Album Artist, which makes Various Artist albums a mess.
The other pain was grouping multi-disc albums, They end up with tracks together with disc1/track1, disc2/track1, disc3/track1 at the top.
To get round that, I used MC to find all the multi disc albums and then manually make all the tracks numbers sequential, and just ignore the disc #
That was when I noticed the issue, as I was using the Rename function to update the filename [Name] - [Track #] - [Artist Name]

If you could automate the multi-disk to sequential track # issue you could advertise this to Telsa drivers who are all struggling with this.

See https://github.com/daiplusplus/TeslaTags/releases

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 11:37:25 am »

To close this out [Update]

Reimaged the NUC, blowing away the preinstalled Win11 and installing a new Win11, everything now works as it should.
Slightly concerning the Windows OS gave the impression to the application, that a file rename or directory move were completed, when they hadn't.

Also noticed a option to use List Order to renumber tracks - I missed that feature addition, as that would have saved me some time, I think on the multi disc issue with Tesla's media handling.

Ability to remap Tag's when exporting to Handheld Devices would still be a useful addition for those other vendors that don't have quite the power of MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up