INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some fun fact on Netflix 4K  (Read 788 times)

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Some fun fact on Netflix 4K
« on: August 29, 2023, 01:25:12 am »

Never was streaming fan ... but decided to give Netflix a try (under pressure from family members)

Here are some fun findings:

Under Edge (both browser and JRiver):

1. Display setting: 4K, Window HDR on - streams in 4K HDR (uses HVEC)
2. Display setting: 4K, Window HDR off - streams in HD max (uses AVC)

If internet is bad, HEVC stream can go down to HD ... but gets back to 4K when internet gets good.
AVC stream never goes beyond HD.

Using Netflix App ... stream is always HVEC ... if HDR is off, UHD content is streamed in SD but in 4k (with tone mapping already applied)

Finally, if you using Edge with display at 4K, Window HDR on ... it will stream in HVEC: 4K HDR ... if you turn HDR off (Win+Alt+B) while Netflix is still open ... stream will remain HEVC, but in SD now ... any subsequent thing you watch will be in HEVC stream but SD ... If you close Netflix and start it again, it will use AVC stream ... its like, Netflix check Edge capability once at start of the sesssion and keeps it for remainder of session (even your display settings change)

Hopefully, this might be useful for someone

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Some fun fact on Netflix 4K
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 02:58:17 am »

I tried to make it play 4K SDR without any trickery, but couldn't find the right settings quite yet. Instead, I got it to play a much higher bitrate 1080p stream in 31.0.49. Progress, I guess.
I also noticed that it does play 4K HDR, if the desktop is in HDR mode. Although if you have a HDR screen of any reasonable design, there is usually little reason to not use HDR.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 03:01:03 am »

Some fun facts on getting back from Netflix to Theatre View ...

Esc only works at Home screen of Netflix ... what is worst, if you watching something and press Esc - it goes to black screen (if you get out of this by ALt+F4 ... and enter back to Theatre View - it will go to Netflix Home page ... so my guess, when watching Netflix and press Esc, it tries unsuccessfully to go back to Netflix Home Page)

Back/backspace works ... but as you know the button goes back ... and if you were browsing Netflix long ... it takes a lot of back to get back to Theatre View

Most reliable solution i find so far to get back from Netflix to Theatre View with one button click is to bind button to command

MC31.exe /MCC 22001,1

I use AutoHotkey to do this
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 03:06:52 am »

tij,
We're working on this now.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 03:06:57 am »

Escape tried to get you out of Netflix in two presses (once goes to home, second closes), but that didn't work from video playback as the player somehow got stuck. But I fixed that just yesterday and now Escape during playback will stop playback first, and after that it'll take you home and close.
A one-press solution to go somewhere else is probably best done with a MCC command like you figured out, as the keyboard presses are more meant for interactive navigation that makes sense (eg. going back in reasonable steps).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 03:08:22 am »

I tried to make it play 4K SDR without any trickery, but couldn't find the right settings quite yet. Instead, I got it to play a much higher bitrate 1080p stream in 31.0.49. Progress, I guess.
I also noticed that it does play 4K HDR, if the desktop is in HDR mode. Although if you have a HDR screen of any reasonable design, there is usually little reason to not use HDR.

Nice to know JRiver is as dedicated as ever to improve things :)

My desktop is by default with HDR off ... for legacy games that look awful in Windows HDR ... I dont mind switching to HDR manually with shortcut (Win+Alt+B) bind to one of remote control buttons.

But would be nice if Netflix item in Theatre View allows running some script/batch before launching Netflix ... then I can inject code to switch desktop to HDR before Netflix launches ... and switch HDR off when getting back to Theatre View

saltanar

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 09:11:57 am »

Is possible to use Netflix with JRVR or Madvr Tonemapping?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 09:16:23 am »

No. It's limited to running through a browser.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up