INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing MP3 Tags to a "max length filename" doesn't write ID3v2 tags  (Read 436 times)

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

I have a 2 tracks in an album with OS limited filename lengths.  Media Center truncated the filename with an ellipsis when I renamed from Media Center. When I "Update Tags (from Library)", only the ID3v1 tag gets written.  The ID3v2 tag is missing (observable by looking at the tag DUMP and MP3Tag). The rest of the tracks with normal length/non-ellipsis filenames work correctly.

Non-Working Filenames:
  • \\10.2.1.10\audio\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #32 - FAQ_ Why Does Everyone in Britain Speak Modern English in My Pre-Norman-Conquest Dimension_ Shouldn’….mp3
  • \\10.2.1.10\audio\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #42 - FAQ_ What If I’m Still Worried about the Ethics of Essentially Colonizing the British Isles, Influen….mp3
Working Filenames:
  • \\10.2.1.10\audio\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #31 - Chapter 19.mp3
  • \\10.2.1.10\audio\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #41 - Chapter 26.mp3

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Writing MP3 Tags to a "too long filename" doesn't write ID3v2 tags
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 02:07:10 am »

Did you enable support for extra long file names in General Settings?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Quixote

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 12:51:27 pm »

Did you enable support for extra long file names in General Settings?

Yes. That option is checked.

Also of note: Using Windows. 
The files are part of a mapped network drive:
M:\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #32 - FAQ_ Why Does Everyone in Britain Speak Modern English in My Pre-Norman-Conquest Dimension_ Shouldn’….mp3
This is the path inside of Media Center.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 02:08:37 pm »

I tried it and could not find any issues.  The filename does get truncated, but that in itself is not really an issue.  I tagged Artist and Genre, both were written correctly in both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Quixote

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 03:19:00 pm »

Please note that Enable Win32 long paths is disabled in the OS though.

Quixote

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 04:47:33 pm »

A few things of note during troubleshooting-

Media Center is definitely doing trimming of the filename and adding ellipsis during the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" dialog.

Using formula Rules for Directories and Filename trying to rename file:
Expecting (397 Characters):
  • M:\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #32 - FAQ_ Why Does Everyone in Britain Speak Modern English in My Pre-Norman-Conquest Dimension_ Shouldn’t That Require an Incredible Alignment of Social and Linguistic Factors That Would Never in a Million Years Align in Such a Convenient Way_.mp3
Truncating (shows in the Rename dialog what it's going to truncate result - see attached image)(259 Characters):
  • M:\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #32 - FAQ_ Why Does Everyone in Britain Speak Modern English in My Pre-Norman-Conquest Dimension_ Shouldn’….mp3
Directly Editing filename in Media Center (253 Characters)
  • M:\books\Brandon Sanderson\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England\The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England #32 - FAQ_ Why Does Everyone in Britain Speak Modern English in My Pre-Norman-Conquest Dimension_ Sho.mp3

When filename is at max length:
  • If there is an existing ID3v2 group, editing tags works correctly
  • If ID3v2 "group" is missing ("Remove Tags"), when editing tags only ID3v1 "group" gets created
  • "Remove Tags" also doesn't work on ID3v2 when file is max length

Quixote

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 01:02:45 pm »

Just wanted to bump this and point out where the bug is coming from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up