INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to enable Dolby Vision?  (Read 967 times)

jason3

• Recent member
How to enable Dolby Vision?
« on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:44 am »

From my searches it seems to me that Dolby Vision (DV) is supported.  How do I enable it?  I am just getting HDR 10.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How to enable Dolby Vision?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 12:11:22 pm »

Just use google to find out specifics about JRiver. "does jriver have dolby vision"

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=132673.0

It is also metioned in JRVR Video Renderer thread under MC 31:

" Support for HDR10+ tonemapping, using dynamic brightness and HDR10+ tonemapping curves (and preliminary/basic support for DV dynamic scene data)"

JRiver use some of the dv data, but not all of it.

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 01:03:41 pm »

From my searches it seems to me that Dolby Vision (DV) is supported.  How do I enable it?  I am just getting HDR 10.

You don't have to enable it what is there just works.

If you were to download a DV specific file that does not work with MadVR it will work with JRVR.

jason3

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 01:16:57 pm »

Thanks! :)

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 07:08:53 pm »

This is just the thread i needed :)

Man was i fooled into thinking I was watching true DV lol

Here is what I understand so far

JRiver 31, and any other program that plays a DV file is not playing it in DV

It is either using the standard HDR Fallback layer or tone mapping DV to standard HDR, which will be static, not dynamic, and not real DV

So what is it playing then?

Is it "HDR"? "HDR 10"? "HDR 10+"

Why even have a DV file for PC software when it is not supported, why don't people just get/use the formats supported IE  HDR 10 and 10+

Is there still some advantage that the file starts as a "DV" image?

i have played a few DV files in JRiver, and they looked amazing, and that was somehow downsampled.

i can only imagine how good an actual DV file must look

Correct any errors i make please,as all this is over my shrunken melon

i was naive thinking that if a file loads and plays, that is what it is putting out

I mean, Dolby owns ATMOS and Vision, and Dolby ATMOS plays unhampered in JRiver,i was naive to assume the same was true for DV

It it just a less expensive licensing fee issue that makes "Dolby ATMOS" available on PC/JRiver?

I read there is a "Dolby Vision" access for Windows,but after my nightmare with "Dolby Access", which i got only for gaming(And games like Resident Evil Village, man spectacular sound),but since there was/is NO way to disable it, make it go away and leave my audio alone until i want it(Only gaming), it made a mess of my music, so i uninstalled, and Microsoft actually refunded me lol

i would definitely buy access if i could shut it off and up until i wanted it tho, but no matter what the Google search/MS says,i tried em all,it will not just go away

A  shame,so long story,i won't buy "Dolby Vision" access either

I am confused tho,why are companies making DV PC games when Win dont support that?

And why does "Dolby ATMOS" work on a PC,but not in games,and we need that crappy program for ATMOS in games?

Cheers

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 06:29:09 am »

I don't know much but I think Dolby Vision (DV) has different flavors. What is used in movies is not the same as games. AFAIK no computer software will play DV files as DV. If you rip a movie to MKV the Nvidia Shield will play it as DV.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 06:51:55 am »

As mentioned above, PCs are not capable of outputting DV "as-is", however, thats also not really required. After all the processing, a TV will just show a RGB image. If you do some of the processing in the PC already, or in the TV ... it might just result in a similar image.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up