INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging. Wrapping myself around the axle!  (Read 457 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging. Wrapping myself around the axle!
« on: August 30, 2023, 02:27:48 pm »

Please bear with me.  With regard to tagging from within MC, does changing the tagging information actually make changes to the source files themselves or not?  Also, when I am using MP3Tag to change information within a group of files, MC apparently is looking at something different than does MP3Tag:  What's the difference between "Album Artist" in the "General" section of TAG and the Album Artist (auto) in the "Advanced Section"?   Apparently enough to mess things up for me and something that MP3Tag may be ignorant on.

Thanks for the hand-holding :-(

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Tagging. Wrapping myself around the axle!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 06:49:45 pm »

With regard to tagging from within MC, does changing the tagging information actually make changes to the source files themselves or not?
Yes & No, depends on the field (tag) setting in Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields 'Save in file tags (when possible)'.
What's the difference between "Album Artist" in the "General" section of TAG and the Album Artist (auto) in the "Advanced Section"?
Album Artist is a 'User data' type field and it's default setting is 'Save in file tags'. Album Artist (auto) is a calculated field and does not have 'Save in file tags' set.
You can read more about how Album Artist (auto) works here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)
Hope this helps.
Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 03:29:15 am »

Thanks TerryM!  That helped immensely!

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 08:22:58 am »

Thanks TerryM!  That helped immensely!

Update:  I was unable to get JRiver MC to write the tags properly to one particular file, an M4A file, that I had in my compilation.  Even though I had the tagging option to "Save in file tags (if possible)" the "Album Artist" and the "Album Artist (auto)" fields seemed to be update for this session but never updated permanently in that the next time I ran MC, this particular file had reverted back to the incorrect "Album Artist" and auto field.  The files reside on a NAS.

What I eventually stumbled upon to fix it was to convert the file from an M4A to a FLAC file and the program now handles the file as expected.  Every other M4A file in the compilation has had no issues.  Looking at the "misbehaving" file using Mp3Tag provided no idea of what the problem could have been.
Pages: [1]   Go Up