INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback Error with VOB Files on Windows 11  (Read 537 times)

Blue333

• Recent member
Playback Error with VOB Files on Windows 11
« on: August 22, 2023, 06:00:25 pm »

I am currently utilizing the latest release of JRiver Media Center, version 31. This application is running on a machine with Windows 11. In my daily operation, I am able to play DVDs from file folders on a NAS device seamlessly. Specifically, DVDs can be played in Media Center with operational menus, and all segments perform normally.

To enhance the organization within JRiver, I considered the addition of individual TV episodes via adding the VOB files. Without this, it appears that JRiver only displays a thumbnail for the first of several TV episodes contained on the DVD.

I am attempting to play the VOB files directly from a Network-Attached Storage (NAS). However, I encounter a recurring issue. Whenever I attempt to add or play the VOB file corresponding to the TV episode, an error message is displayed, stating, "Something went wrong with playback. Details: Failed to open or parse file (hr=0x90004005)."

Further complicating matters, when I copy the file to the local computer where JRiver is installed, I receive the same error message, yet the file plays regardless.

The underlying problem remains ambiguous, and my efforts to resolve it have been to no avail. Thus, I humbly request the insights and suggestions of this knowledgeable community. Any assistance provided would be immensely valuable and appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback Error with VOB Files on Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 12:52:45 am »

I think that's an underlying Windows problem.  Try a Google search.

We recommend ripping with makeMKV.  It's integrated into MC if you've installed it.

Blue333

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 08:53:05 pm »

Thank you for your prompt response and recommendation regarding the use of makeMKV and the possibility of an underlying Windows issue.

Upon conducting further research, including a thorough analysis of different playback scenarios on Windows 11, I have ascertained the following:

1. VOB Files Compatibility: VOB files are played seamlessly through alternative media players like VLC directly from my NAS, exhibiting no errors or issues. This functionality proves the compatibility of VOB files with my current system, isolating the problem specifically to JRiver Media Center.

2. JRiver Configuration Analysis: Delving into the JRiver's settings, I ensured that all configurations are in alignment with standard practices for VOB file handling as best as I could determine. Perhaps I have missed something, but despite this meticulous setup, the problem persisted, hinting at a potential glitch within JRiver itself.

3. Potential Solutions: I might consider reevaluating the codec or other settings within JRiver or possibly reinstalling the software to ensure any corrupted components are rectified. Additionally, I will maintain vigilance for updates from JRiver that may contain specific patches for this problem.

4. makeMKV Integration: Although your suggestion regarding makeMKV is appreciated and understood, the immediate problem seems to be localized within JRiver rather than a general Windows or file format issue. Nevertheless, the integration of makeMKV within JRiver could be explored as an alternative pathway for handling these files.

Your insight has guided my analysis, and I am grateful for your assistance. If there are further technical details or specific solutions you or others in the community can share, they would be much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 11:55:06 pm »

Are the VOB files encrypted?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB

Are you using AnyDVD or similar?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 02:46:43 am »

These are complete DVD structures, but you are just trying to reference individual VOBs inside of them, is that right?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Blue333

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 09:54:19 pm »

Thank you for your questions, which help to further narrow down the problem.

Response to Query #1: The VOB files in question are not encrypted. I have utilized DVDFab to unencrypt these files, and they have been verified to be playable in other media software like VLC without any issues. This reinforces the notion that the issue might be localized to JRiver Media Center.

Response to Query #2: Yes, you are correct. These VOB files are part of complete DVD folder structures housed in my NAS. My intent is to directly reference individual VOB files within these structures. This granular approach allows for the tagging of specific episodes, thereby facilitating a more organized experience within JRiver.

Given the non-encrypted status of the VOB files and their proven compatibility with other media software, the focus remains on JRiver's handling of these particular files. Whether the issue resides in JRiver's file parsing logic, codec settings, or some other internal component remains unclear. I am exploring further into JRiver's settings but the solution has proven elusive.

Any further insights or technical recommendations would be invaluable for resolving this issue. Thank you very much for your continued assistance.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 04:20:22 am »

I looked into this, and MC always attempts to play DVDs using the actual DVD structure, if available. If a VOB exists within a DVD structure, its considered one media aggregate, and the individual files inside of it are no longer seen individually.

If the DVD is authored sensibly, you could try to use "Stacks -> Advanced -> Auto Create BD/DVD Title Particles" and see if it produces titles for the individual episodes. But many DVDs unfortunately don't author separate titles, but use some weird combination of chapters to control what is being played.
This also comes back to a fundamental problem with DVDs, which is that .VOB files are not necessarily logical titles or episodes. They may contain part of one episode and then part of another, because they have a fixed size of 1GB.

I have looked into fixing the error that comes up, but it wouldn't solve your issue - because it would play the DVD using the menu, and not the VOB you wanted to play.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up