INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: On Screen Keyboard  (Read 585 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: On Screen Keyboard
« on: September 05, 2023, 07:59:12 am »

Description

We have added support for showing the Microsoft on screen keyboard when a JRiver edit control takes the focus.

It came about from this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136813.0.html

Instructions

Enable the option here: Options > General > Advanced > Show the on screen keyboard

Then focus something like the search box and the keyboard should appear.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: On Screen Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 01:54:05 pm »

The keyboard showed up once, and worked as you described.  But on a second try it does not come back again, even if I uncheck / recheck that option box.  Also, closing MC and the MC Server did not bring it back, even though the box remained checked.  All trials done using the Search Box.

Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)    MC 31.0.51

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 02:13:40 pm »

The keyboard showed up once, and worked as you described.  But on a second try it does not come back again, even if I uncheck / recheck that option box.  Also, closing MC and the MC Server did not bring it back, even though the box remained checked.  All trials done using the Search Box.

Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)    MC 31.0.51

Not sure.  Try a reboot.  We're starting tabtip.exe and trying to end it as well on the latest Windows.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 03:22:22 pm »

Not sure.  Try a reboot.  We're starting tabtip.exe and trying to end it as well on the latest Windows.
It's all a little weird.  After reboot, I see same behavior as previously reported in Reply #1.  Task Manager listed the process tabtip.exe as running, even though onscreen keyboard no longer shows up in MC.

I then ended the process in Task Manager, restarted MC, and the keyboard popup showed and persisted this time through two trips to MC's Search Window.  I closed the onscreen keyboard, restarted MC, and again it does not show up even though Task Manager lists it.

Rinse and repeat:  I killed it in TM,  onscreen keyboard works again, until it disappears once more and does not reappear.

Windows 11 Pro (64-bit) 22H2 Latest Update to OS Build 22621.2215    MC 31.0.51

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 03:54:58 pm »

Thanks.  I was able to reproduce by closing the keyboard, stopping MC, then launching again.

I'll try to make the code explicitly close a found keyboard before opening again.  That's making it work on my system.

Testing appreciated once we do a build.

Thanks.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 12:15:16 pm »

Testing appreciated once we do a build.
On Screen Keyboard (OSK) in MC 31.0.54 is a great start, but a little sub-optimal:

Current Behavior:
(1) When editing some dialog windows, for example "Edit Smartlist", the OSK flashes off/on whenever the mouse moves to a different text entry box within the window.  When user closes the dialog window, OSK remains open.

(2) The OSK closes when any key is entered from the physical keyboard.
Example:  Enter a word with OSK, then hit space bar on physical keyboard.  OSK disappears when space is entered.  Click outside the box and then inside it again to reawken the OSK.

Preferred Changes:
(1) Once the OSK is auto-opened for a dialog window, just keep it open until user closes the dialog window.  That is, close OSK when user hits the upper right hand corner "x", or hits buttons such as "Close", "Cancel", "OK", etc.  So no flashing, plus dialog box and OSK close together (retain OSK closes when clicking outside a single text box such as upper right corner Search).

(2) Keep the OSK open even after a physical keyboard entry, so both can work together.  That is how the Windows Touch OSK behaves and is what people expect.

Note re flashing:  Maybe a personal preference trade-off here?  Extra flashing is annoying, and quickly becomes truly bothersome.  On the other hand, flashing OSK off without closing a dialog window provides an unobstructed view of the interface, since nothing is blocked by the OSK.  I prefer no flashing.

Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)  MC 31.0.54
Pages: [1]   Go Up