INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote (IPhone) timeouts when attempting to connect to Server  (Read 1185 times)

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
JRemote (IPhone) timeouts when attempting to connect to Server
« on: September 14, 2023, 12:34:48 am »

I want to use JRiver to stream music Files from my Home PC (Windows 10 64 Bit) to my Phone.
Purchased JRemote, installed it, and installed the Server (Currently with 30 Day Test License, will update once all is running) on the PC

Created an access Key.

I have configured my Huawai Router to Open and forward Port 52199:

Here are my settings on Router:
(Forward Rules - Port mapping configuration)

Mapping Name JRiver
Internal Host 192.168.1.120 (My PCs IP Address), My PC's name
Type: User defined
Public IP (empty)
External Source IP Address (empty)
Protocol TCP/UDP
Internal Port Number 52199-52199
External Port Number 52199 - 52199
External Source Port Number 52199-52199

When trying to connect, JRemote reports:
Connecting to ip [external address removed] Port 52199 Timed out
Connecting to ip 192.168.123.120 Port 52199 Timed Out
Connecting to IP: [address removed] dynamic.3bb.co.th Port 52199 Timed Out.

What am i doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote (IPhone) timeouts when attempting to connect to Server
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 01:30:50 am »

I removed a couple of your addresses for security reasons.

The wiki has a topic called Network Access.

Work on getting a local connection first.  Make sure your phone is on your wi-fi network.

MC can test the connection from its Media Network section.  It will tell you if the LAN only connection works.  If not, there may be a firewall problem on your PC.

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 02:07:43 am »

I removed a couple of your addresses for security reasons.
Thanks
The wiki has a topic called [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url].
Looked at the Wiki, but can't find my way around there, with all the terminology, Abbreviations and all.

Work on getting a local connection first.  Make sure your phone is on your WiFi network.

Phone is on WiFi Network, same Network as the PC.

Seems I cant get a local connection as all the Timeouts seem to be the same.
MC can test the connection from its Media Network section.  It will tell you if the LAN only connection works.  If not, there may be a firewall problem on your PC.
How do I initiate a test?
I deactivated Firewall for now during this setup.

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 06:11:56 am »

Update: I can connect at least locally from my Phone to my server. App on Phone shows my Audio Files, but when I play them they play on the PC, so the Phone acts as a remote control. Would like to play the Files on the Phone instead.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 12:13:08 pm »

In JRemote, tap the cog wheel in the top left of the screen. At the bottom of the slide-out menu, you will see something like "Player". Tap that, then tap "This device". Tunes should now play on the phone :)

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 11:03:09 pm »

Thanks but can’t see such entry here:

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 11:18:13 pm »

Don't tap settings. When the menu slides out from the left, "settings" is at the top, look at the very, very bottom, below "search"...

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 12:54:36 am »

There‘s nothing below Search here?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 03:24:23 am »

Tap on the concentric circles in the very bottom left next to where it says "Bptudon1" and "Player".

Once you do this it will spawn a list of available play destinations, one of which will be "This Device".

Whatever is displayed in the bottom left next to the concentric circles is the current JRemote output destination. Select "This Device" and JRemote will play to the iPhone.

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 08:09:05 am »

Thanks all, this is working now. Not easy to find the controls, they are quite hidden.

Now trying to connect on the phone over 4G without local Wifi

I determined my Public IP, and connecting to this in JRemote ... you guessed it; Timeout!

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 08:53:07 am »

I can determine the public address of my Phone when connected to 4G or 5G with pages like whatsmyip.com
But even if this would connect (It doesn't) it would be of no help as the IP is given by the Provider and will change when I move from one location to another. There must be another solution!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 10:51:26 am »

Using the Access Key in MC works even when your outside address changes.  MC updates our server.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 01:08:04 pm »

also, the phone address is irrelavant (unless you are trying to only allow the phone through the firewall?). JRemote just needs the MC access key. It will then attempt to connect to your MC server. Your attention now should be towards your firewall settings, and your router port forwarding settings.

and, just checking, you didn't change the listening port in MC's network settings did you? I routinely change things like that away from their defaults. All the documentation though, will refer you to port 52199. If you changed it, you need to specify your chosen port in all of your system/router settings instead of 52199.

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 12:54:56 am »

Still trying to get the streaming over 4G to work.
So far I did not change the Port; still the default JRiver Port 52199

As I see it, there are three things to do right:
Router Setup (Port Forwarding)
Sharing my Music Folder
Settings in JRemote

Struggling to get it right, but as I dont know if any of the tasks are working individually, I cant get  it to run.

What would be the best way to sort it?
First start with Router and Port forwarding? (This now works on the local Wifi. What needs to be changed for 4G?
Sharing my music Folder:
I have shared it now temporarily with read access for everyone. Once it is working, I would then limit it to my local account.
Setting up JRemote:
Should I create a 2nd server here, or edit my current Wifi settings to allow connection from WAN?

Any help appreciated

I am also considering investing in the JRiver Hardware Server, mainly because it would allow me to shut down my PC while not otherwise used.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 01:56:15 am »

You don't need to share your music folder. When JRemote connects, it is connecting to the Media Center software on the PC, which in return provides access to its entire library to JRemote.

If you are using the access key method within JRemote, on the default port, then the only remaining stumbling blocks are the firewall and/or port forwarding settings.

One thing that did occur to me was... For port forwarding to work reliably, you also need the PC to always use the same internal IP address. The default is to use DHCP which simply put, means the router assigns IP addresses randomly to devices as they connect.

Somewhere in your router settings, your looking for 'connected devices' or 'address reservation table' or something along those lines, that allow you to tell your router that the PC must always use that internal IP address.

-marko

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 03:48:40 am »

I have set the PC to an IP address that is outside the DHCP reservoir of the Router. DHCP on router uses 192.168.1.60 - 192.168.1.140, my PC has 192.168.1.200

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 06:08:40 am »

Now getting a server response in JRemote - Connections:
(192.168.123.100 - 174.xxx.xxx.xxx - mx - II-223.206xxx-205.dynamic.myprovider.co.th)
Still Timeouts everywhere

When I click on the circled 'i' next to the '3 addresses found (192.168.123.100 - mx - II-xxx.xxx.xxx-xxx.dynamic.myprovider.co.th) I see this:
Server response

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response Status ="OK">
<keyid>xxxxx</keyid>     REM: my JRiver Key
<ip>mx ......myprovide.co.th</ip>
<port>52199</port>
,localiplist>192.168.123.100,172.24.xxx.xxx,/localiplist>
,macaddresslist>xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx,xx-xx-xx-   REM and here it stops, this 2nd Mac address is incomplete

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 07:18:58 am »

So, quite likely your dynamic DNS might be an issue? I would determine the current external IP address of the pc, then in JRemote, add a server and use that IP address. If that works, then you know your router and firewall are set correctly.

It's quite intuitive to do in JRemote, When you open settings in JRemote, you should see a green bar with white text "Add a new server". Click that.
Then click "Connect with IP address". Fill in the IP address and user name and password (if you have authentication enabled on the server), then click "add and connect".

If that works, then you now know that your firewall and router are all set correctly, and the issue is with your dynamic DNS.
If it does not work, you know there is still an issue with your router/firewall setup. That would need to be fixed first, before returning to your dynamic DNS option.

ManfredYossarian

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 07:52:58 am »

Finally got the Wi-Fi Option now running again. Don't know what I did wrong before; I was away for a couple of weeks, after return it worked.
So I need to set up the Parameters for 4G connect now.

Where do I start?
Pages: [1]   Go Up