INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Does 5.1 to Stereo Sound Superior?  (Read 272 times)

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
Why Does 5.1 to Stereo Sound Superior?
« on: September 15, 2023, 10:28:52 am »

OK, I'll be the first to admit that my decades-long journey with MC 31 has yielded pleasant surprises.

Someone (Thank You) uploaded, some months back, a 5.1 version of several 70s-era classic records, if I recall, it was T Rex, Allman Bros. Isley Bros. to JRiver Cloudplay.

When I first heard the MC translation of the 5.1 mix to Stereo, my ears pricked up a bit. I was shocked at the punch and clarity, but I didn't give it much thought, it sort of settled in my mind as possibly subjective to me. 

This morning, I was searching for a YouTube version of particular songs from the 50-year-old POCO album "Crazy Eyes" and happened upon a YouTube Channel called "Record Revolution."

I can say, after an hour of listening and A/B to "regular" stereo mixes that streaming at 192/24 from YouTube yielded stunning clarity, the "muddiness" of certain passages disappeared, and certain instrumental and vocal frequencies seemed to me like I was hearing elements in the mix that I never heard before. Like I was literally hearing it for the first time. Especially "Craxy Eyes" which I first heard on a friend's high-end Marantz stereo system in 1974.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side was the same.

Now, I am gobsmacked, because all the "standard" stereo mixes, and even remasters seem to pale in comparison., This is like an audio revelation to me.

So, is it just me, or is MC's translation of 5.1 to stereo the "magic" or is it Dolby ATMOS extraction?

Thanks for keeping this media player at the top of the line.

Record Revolution: https://www.youtube.com/@RecordRevolution

Pages: [1]   Go Up