INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Server & Shared Internet connection?  (Read 563 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Media Center Server & Shared Internet connection?
« on: September 17, 2023, 01:59:14 pm »

Still looking how to make my TV + MC connect automatically using Win10, whenever both devices run... (as discussed before in No connection to DLNA TV and other posts)

I am only getting the 'ad hoc' connection (starting on my TV), but I'm tired having to set that up each and every time again... To get rid of this step, I keep trying different options incl. static/ dynamic IP addresses, and connection shares... Now I discovered 'Media Center Service' listed under my (WiFi's) Internet 'Sharing' tab > 'Advanced' options (see screenshot below).

What is that for -- does a TV connected to a PC require Media Center Server to access shared internet, or vice versa need a shared connection to use MC's media server? I don't think either is true...

And which of the 'Advanced' services (see 2rd window from right in screenshot) should be checked to establish Media Network automatically? Any or all from DHCP Client/ Server, Domain Name Server (DNS), or the UPnP Framework options?

Note the static IP "192.168.0.1" given to MC (right screenshot window). Where does that come from, and would it help in my setup, with MC server on laptop, connected to TV via LAN cable...

Many thanks ahead for any help!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center Server & Shared Internet connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 01:26:15 am »

Please read the Wiki topics on Media Network, DLNA, and Network Access.

You do need to run Media Network on Windows Startup.  It's in the options.

I think you're looking at your firewall settings.  Media Network needs access on port 52199.  The wiki will help.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center Server & Shared Internet connection?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 10:37:04 am »

Please read the Wiki topics on Media Network, DLNA, and Network Access.
You do need to run Media Network on Windows Startup.  It's in the options.
I think you're looking at your firewall settings.  Media Network needs access on port 52199.  The wiki will help.

Thanks Jim, but most wiki articles I saw explain settings for Media Center (such as connecting MC instances via LAN), not settings for Windows internet access sharing...

Starting MC Server with Windows makes no difference, MC and server are always running on the laptop when the LAN connected TV is turned on.

Thirdly, the issue is not Firewall related -- the screenshots clearly show sharing options of my internet WiFi connection. (Recently checked because my TV occasionally needs to load software updates via internet.)

So once more, what functions do these shared services perform, and which do I need for my LAN TV to stay connected (see inital post)?

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)
Pages: [1]   Go Up