INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder scheme. Tv-Show name (year) [tvdbid=xxx]  (Read 499 times)

z10rog

• Recent member
Folder scheme. Tv-Show name (year) [tvdbid=xxx]
« on: September 18, 2023, 08:13:31 am »

Hello,

Long time user and buyer of J River Media center for Windows. My "issue" is rather weird I would presume.

I organize my tv-shows into folders that support my Media Server software best (Emby Media). However, in doing so, J River got a problem with importing folder with year of origin and tvdbid in paranthesies and brackets. J River come back with no results for the tv-shows.

Is there a way for J River to ignore '(year) [tvdbid=xxx]' in folder structures?
Or maybe add support for this to import/auto-import settings for future releases?

All the best and thanks for great software,
Roger :P

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Folder scheme. Tv-Show name (year) [tvdbid=xxx]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:33:16 am »

You can populate the [Series] field manually if you'd like.  Then when you run "get tv info from internet" it will use that value.

You can test this on a single series and see if it works.

If your test is satisfactory, you can then author an expression that will extract that series name, or just the TVDBID from your directory names *and* put it in the right place.

With some examples we can probably write a REGEX to do it for you.  I believe that you can then put these expression into your auto import rule and it will be applied on each auto import.  That should make it completely automatic unless I'm missing a piece.

Brian.

z10rog

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 01:00:51 pm »

Yeah, when I manually remove the year and id info and use "get info..." it works.

However, I feel JRiver should support various folder naming structures in the future. Although it works to get info from internet, it doesn't always pick the right show when there are multiple hits based on year of origin. Tons of Tv-Shows/movies with the same name out there.

I've been using J River for 10 years and regex is about the only part I haven't explored. I guess it's due :). Thanks for reply!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 01:47:13 pm »

If the MC developers want to implement the parsing of the tmdbid from folder names, that would be great.

If not, I'm volunteering to help you write an appropriate REGEX expression.  I would need some representative examples.

If you want to do it completely solo, maybe go read my little mini tutorial on regex.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97996.0

Brian.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 02:50:46 pm »

You can do the parsing during auto import already.
With some fancy regex or with "regular expressions"  ;D

Quick example assuming Filename (path) structure for files is like this (no season folders):
C:\Series\McGyver (1985) [tvdbid=45763]

Code: [Select]
Parse Series: ListItem(ListItem([Filename (path)],-1,\),0,/ /()
Parse Year: Left(ListItem(ListItem([Filename (path)],-1,\),1,/ /(),4)
Parse TheTVDB Series ID: ListItem(RemoveRight(ListItem([Filename (path)],-1,/[),1),1,=)

z10rog

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 02:47:13 am »

With the nice tutorial from blgentry and cool example from lepa I think I might actually get it to work. Thanks guys. Great community here :)

eve

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 03:27:59 am »

With the nice tutorial from blgentry and cool example from lepa I think I might actually get it to work. Thanks guys. Great community here :)

Yep, this is probably the right solution. If you're using Emby you may consider generating NFOs for your media. It's how I *hint* to Emby and JRiver (among other software) the global Id for each media item. In your case, regarding television, it helps get rid of ambiguity with episodes where there may not be a consensus on the 'order'. In other words, regardless of the service you use for metadata, you can kind of authoritatively declare, this file is this episode, and you're not relying on season / episode #s.
The nice thing about NFOs is most media software by this point has at least some handling for them. I'm not like the biggest fan of it for my internal media library architecture, but I still use the 'id' from each as a starting point.

If you have a large library, you quickly realize title + year, or series, season episode, doesn't cut it whatsoever.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 02:44:13 pm »

@lepa:  Great job with the expressions!

@eve:  I have several problematic TV series in my collection.  I've had to very carefully use a metadata manager program that writes NFO files in order to get other software to recognize the correct order.

The worst offender is a great single season show that I've watched several times all the way through.

Brian.

eve

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 03:10:25 pm »

@eve:  I have several problematic TV series in my collection.  I've had to very carefully use a metadata manager program that writes NFO files in order to get other software to recognize the correct order.

Yeah, I went from FileBot to TMM for my organization and NFO writing needs. I initially switched because of it's metadata sources but now that I handle that on my own (in a far more exhaustive manner), it's primarily for making sure stuff like Emby has 'good enough' metadata and the correct identifiers in a format that regular software understands

Pages: [1]   Go Up