INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver media server on a streamer (not a PC)  (Read 883 times)

doorofnight010

• Recent member
jriver media server on a streamer (not a PC)
« on: September 19, 2023, 05:27:36 am »

I would like to know if its possible to:

Install a JRiver server (like LMS) on my streamer with 16GB memory card*;
Then install the ubacch plugin (a VST3 plugin) on the server
Then connect the streamer to my digital input on my amplifier
Use roon/Qobuz on my laptop / iphone / tablet and select the JRiver server (without additional JRiver software on my laptop)
And then stream music to my amplifier?

* i am not sure if the streamer can handle >16GB memory cards

If yes, where can i find a jriver media server for a streamer not for windows/laptop? Does it work the same way like LMS? With an interface on my laptop? IS there an installation guide for a jriver media server on a streamer?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: jriver media server on a streamer (not a PC)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 08:20:36 am »

What is your streamer? MC runs on Windows, MacOS and Linux. If your streamer does not run one of those, MC will not run on it.

LMS is a bare bones server, developed in the early days of Logitech devices. It is far different than the rich, hugely customizable Media Center.

It sounds like the only reason you want MC is to run your VST plugin. If you want to do that you need to run MC on some sort of PC and connect that to your existing system, either through DLNA or a direct Ethernet or usb connection.

Please describe your streamer. From that, people may be able to offer alternatives, as I did in your other thread.

doorofnight010

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 06:44:41 am »

I asked questions about IdPi because i stumbled on this and it looked like that was what I needed. But unfortunately the plugin is for windows only.

And yes, i am looking for a way to use a VTS3 plugin, and for that I need JRiver (or foobar f.e.). I do not want complex solutions and I do not want to use my laptop as a server or streamer.

I have no plans to use JRiver for anything else, only to make the plugin work, and this is why i would like some kind of "endpoint" jriver solution to use the plugin, and to send the signal from this streamer by cable to my amplifier. And use a remote to control this endpoint.

I thought that maybe I can use a streamer I already have, but because the plugin is for Windows only, this will not work  I guess :(

https://magnahifi.com/mano-ultra-music-streamer-high-res/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 07:34:15 am »

Streamer is an ambiguous term and so is endpoint.  In your case, your device appears to be a computer, probably based on Linux, with some extra software added.  You can play to it from another computer.

Try a Google search for "JRiver' linux vst.

In the world of DLNA, such a device is a Renderer.  It's a device you play to from another machine.  The wiki has more information.

You might be satisfied with any Windows PC, running JRiver and directly connected to your DAC.  You could use VST plug-ins then.  You could also control it remotely.

Our wiki has topics on DLNA and Remotes.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 08:00:38 am »

This streamer appears to run piCore Linux, which is a stripped down version of Linux for the Pi. Not sure if MC would run on that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 09:19:03 am »

This streamer appears to run piCore Linux, which is a stripped down version of Linux for the Pi. Not sure if MC would run on that.
Depends on the version. I've done a little with piCore. At any rate it would be far from easy to get it working.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 10:58:36 am »

You might be able to put a Windows PC between your streamer and your NAD and put MC and the VST plugin on that. That is a lot of work and not a very clean solution. I do not see another way to do what you want to do. Maybe others have suggestions.

doorofnight010

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 12:38:38 pm »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I might try to make an old Windows PC a "renderer" before I try it with my streamer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up