INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel jumbled when DSD to PCM in MC31  (Read 375 times)

naren

Multichannel jumbled when DSD to PCM in MC31
« on: September 22, 2023, 12:20:36 am »

Running MC31 from Windows 10  to Okto Dac8 pro. Using 5.1 setup.
I have DSD files that are not 5.1 and some are Quad, 3 Channel and 5 Channel.
When passing this as DSD to Okto works fine.
But if I use DSP setting to do Room Correction when have to convert from DSD to PCM and pass the PCM to Okto the channels are jumbled. this happens when the file is not 5.1.

Since, Okto in its new V1.5 fw have enabled the display to show the active channels, this is now noticeable.
I checked with Okto and they ask to check with JRiver. Now I am not sure what is at fault.

Please look into this and advice.

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multichannel jumbled when DSD to PCM in MC31
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 07:52:12 am »

I have DSD files that are not 5.1 and some are Quad, 3 Channel and 5 Channel.
When passing this as DSD to Okto works fine.
But if I use DSP setting to do Room Correction when have to convert from DSD to PCM and pass the PCM to Okto the channels are jumbled. this happens when the file is not 5.1.

Since, Okto in its new V1.5 fw have enabled the display to show the active channels, this is now noticeable.
I checked with Okto and they ask to check with JRiver. Now I am not sure what is at fault.

Please look into this and advice.

Sounds like a channel layout issue.

Can you describe the layout you end up getting vs the input file? Which channels are ending up where on the Okto?

The Okto is stunning by the way, props on picking some of the best multichannel D/A out there.  It's also nice to see people still listening to quad. Some of those quad mixes are RAD. The speaker placement was a little different compared to modern 5.1, and you had mixes which had a bit of a different 'philosophy'. A great example here is Parson's Quad mix for DSotM vs the Guthrie, totally different experience.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 09:26:35 am »

try Parametric Eq in DSP; Add : Order Channels, (and Mute if needed). Perhaps this will help?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:05:13 am »

try Parametric Eq in DSP; Add : Order Channels, (and Mute if needed). Perhaps this will help?

Yeah, I mean, that's going to be the solution almost certainly but for many people figuring out the correct order can be confusing. If OP can chime in with exactly what's happening (what channels are ending up where) we can suggest the correct PEQ setup to handle it.  :)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:46 pm »

Is the output format channels in JRiver set to 5.1?  If it is not, the channel mappings for all formats you mentioned will be incorrect i.e. 4 channel will play through the first four channels of your DAC.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up