INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to permanently stop auto updates Windows 10 Pro  (Read 742 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
How to permanently stop auto updates Windows 10 Pro
« on: September 25, 2023, 10:33:10 pm »

I need to permanently stop windows 10 pro from updating as when it does it messes with event ghost which I use to run some commands for JR. In the settings it only allows you 30 days to turn it off then it automatically comes back on. This PC is only used as my HTPC for JR so I dont need any of the security. There were so many things messed up with a resent update I spent hours trying to figure what had happened, I deleted the latest update and everything started to work again. However the next day I went to use JR the update started again and the bugs returned. I want to stop this forever in windows 10 pro, can some of the PC experts please help me?

dtc

• MC Beta Team

eve

Re: How to permanently stop auto updates Windows 10 Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 07:13:00 am »

The Toms Guide one may not work for everyone. In my experience, disabling the windows update service is a Band-Aid and can undo itself eventually, especially if you leave it on manual, and then update yourself (which you should frankly, periodically do, in particular if this is a computer that does internet browsing or has other day to day functions) since some windows updates will try to restore it to it's intended state.

If you're on Pro, you should have access to Group Policy controls in GPEdit.msc , the things to disable are in there. If not you can change that 'pause' update counter to an arbitrarily high value in the registry (just google to see where the key is). OOBE is also something you can nuke out in GPEdit if you end up getting that nag screen on boot occasionally. Why OOBE (or frankly a number of things) is on by default in enterprise installs by default I'll never know.

Disabling Windows 10 updates is somehow, an ever changing process, however, as I mentioned, there is a value to updating on your terms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up