INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 31 is capturing my screen - notification  (Read 522 times)

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center 31 is capturing my screen - notification
« on: September 27, 2023, 07:20:54 pm »

I'm on MC 31.0.59 on a 2020 intel iMac. Every time i start Media Center i see an icon in the menu bar and if i put my cursor on it, it tells me that Media Center 31 is capturing my screen. It goes away after 10 or 15 seconds.

I've never seen this before, and I have not changed any settings, however i did upgrade the OS to Sonoma yesterday.

I really don't have any need for Media Center 31 to capture my screen. Is this something i can disable? Is this a glitch or an expected behavior?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 31 is capturing my screen - notification
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 07:04:50 am »

MC for Mac requires 2 or 3 different system "privacy and security" permissions.  I can't remember which ones.  But "screen recording" is definitely one of them.  This isn't as unusual as you might think.  Safari (the default web browser on Macs) needs the same permission.  Attached is a partial screen shot of my "screen recording" permissions on the Mac I'm typing on.

I recommend you check yours and make sure that the switch for MC31 is turned on.  I haven't seen that little pop up message you describe, but I run my Macs with the Dock hidden for more screen real estate.  The Dock is not very useful for me in my workflow so I pay it little attention.

Best of luck,
Brian.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 08:52:22 am »

Yes, my settings match yours. The display notification is showing up on my menu bar, not my dock, and i've never seen it before now. I have no objection to the setting, but i don't understand why MC 31 is actually capturing my screen. There is no reason that i'm aware of for it to do this, and i've never seen it before. BTW, i use MC 31 for playing audio files, not for any TV if that matters.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 09:08:00 am »

Yes, my settings match yours. The display notification is showing up on my menu bar, not my dock, and i've never seen it before now. I have no objection to the setting, but i don't understand why MC 31 is actually capturing my screen. There is no reason that i'm aware of for it to do this, and i've never seen it before. BTW, i use MC 31 for playing audio files, not for any TV if that matters.
It just moves images from one part of MC to another. MC will run without that permission (unlike some of the others) but you may see odd things in the UI without that permission.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 10:03:15 am »

Thanks, Bob.

I do not need to disable the setting. I have no problem with MC doing it. I just wanted to make sure this was expected behavior since i've never seen this alert notification before now.

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 11:56:31 am »

I'm curious: why does MC require (or ask for) this permission? What's the functionality that the screen recording enables?

In my case, I notice the "screen recording" notification appears when MC is thinking really hard and the spinning beach ball appears. I'm just looking to get a better understanding of what's happening there. Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 03:59:55 pm »

I'm curious: why does MC require (or ask for) this permission? What's the functionality that the screen recording enables?

In my case, I notice the "screen recording" notification appears when MC is thinking really hard and the spinning beach ball appears. I'm just looking to get a better understanding of what's happening there. Thanks!
Please read this message:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134228.msg929753.html#msg929753
All permissions are explained in there.

The beach ball timing is likely a coincidence.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 04:31:46 pm »

You'd probably have to ask Apple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up