INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues in playing some multichannel files through HDMI  (Read 524 times)

dcm

• Recent member
Issues in playing some multichannel files through HDMI
« on: October 14, 2023, 05:50:32 pm »

I have encountered difficulties playing some multichannel file (stored as FLAC) through the HDMI inputs of my (10-year-old) pre/pro. This issue relates to multichannel files with sample rates of 44/88/176. Is the solution to use the JRiver player to convert such files on the fly to less problematic sample rates, which seems to be a workaround, or is there something else going on that I should be aware of? Or would the issue go away with a more modern pre/pro?

Here is more background. Up to now, I have been playing JRiver with an ASIO driver through a miniDSP U-DIO8 linked to 3 stereo DACs and then into the analog 7.1 inputs of a Marantz AV8801, thereby bypassing the AV8801’s internal processing.  I have preferred to use JRiver’s processing tools, with the Dirac plug-in providing room correction.  This system works nicely, but I would like to give a pre/pro a more central role in my system so that I can take advantage of formats such as Dolby Atmos.

Before purchasing a more modern pre/pro, I would like to understand any issues that might be involved.  Accordingly, I have been examining how to play multichannel audio files (stored as FLAC) through the HDMI inputs of my AV8801, using JRiver’s processing and the Direct mode on the Marantz.  The issue that I have encountered is that multichannel audio files with sample rates of 44, 88 and 176 will not play.  There is no problem with 48/96/192 rate files. Multichannel video files seem to be playing fine. Two channel audio files are also playing fine up to 192/24. If I ask the JRiver player to convert the problematic files on the fly to a 48, 96 or 192 sample rate, the problem seems to go away.

I am using an up-to-date version of JRiver (31.0.43). In the above experimentation on multichannel via HDMI, output encoding is set to no encoding, multichannel files are stored in FLAC, and it does not seem to matter whether I set the audio format to 5.1 or to source number of channels. The driver is Marantz AVR (WASAPI) and bitstreaming is off.

My hope is to purchase an up-to-date pre/pro and continue to use JRiver processing whenever I do not need the decoding tools of the pre/pro (e.g., for Atmos). I would set aside my miniDSP and the trio of stereo DACs. I may not have much option in the latter step as many new pre/pros seem to be divesting of multichannel analog inputs, and I would also like to keep the system relatively simple. I have a multi-format Blu-ray player to take care of any disk-playing needs.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the questions I posed at the end of the first paragraph above, and any other issues that I should be aware of before I purchase a new pre/pro.

dcm

• Recent member
Re: Issues in playing some multichannel files through HDMI
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 09:31:06 am »

I have an update to my previous post, just above.

First, let me summarize the previous post, multichannel files stored in FLAC with sample rates that are multiples of 44 (i.e. 44/88/176) do not play when output to the HDMI input of my Marantz AV8801. If I use JRIver to change the sample rate to a multiple of 48 (48/96/192), the files do play.  Bitstreaming was not operational. The files already stored in sample rates that are a multiple of 48 play fine with no intervention.   

Let me now add the update. I have tried with bistreaming turned on, with the same results. Files with sample rates that are a multiple of 44 do not play (unless I use JRiver to convert sample size to a multiple of 48), but there is no issue where the sample rate is already a multiple of 48. This prompts another question. I thought that JRiver processing was not operational when using bitstreaming.

I hope that someone following this board has some thoughts. I will try also posting on a Marantz board.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 09:33:31 am »

Why not just allow JRiver to convert when needed?  It seems you have it working if you do that.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 11:25:32 am »

HDMI supports sample rates of both 44 and 48 KHz and multiples of those. Looking at the Marantz spec it appears that the 8801 may not support 44 KHz over HDMI. This is not too surprising since video (e.g. Dolby) typically uses 48 KHz, rather than 44 KHz and the HDMI on the AVR was designed for video.

The manual says that the unit supports 44 KHz over DLNA, although it does not say if it supports multi-channel signals. That is something to try.

So, if buying a replacement, you probably want to check to be sure the various inputs support both 44 and 48 KHz. Also, it might be desirable to have a usb input that hooks to a computer.

dcm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 10:10:45 pm »

Why not just allow JRiver to convert when needed?  It seems you have it working if you do that.

Thanks JimH. It is indeed good to know that there is this option. I was curious that I seemed to be able to do this conversion in bitstreaming mode. I had thought that JRiver processing was not active in bitstreaming mode.

So, if buying a replacement, you probably want to check to be sure the various inputs support both 44 and 48 KHz. Also, it might be desirable to have a usb input that hooks to a computer.

Thanks dtc for the suggestion, and the insights into how the AV8801 operates. I am seeking a pre/pro that processes both Dolby and Auro-3D and will look carefully through the user manuals of the units I identify to see what sample rates they accept. If I understand correctly, I should be able to send Dolby and Auro-3D files directly from JRiver via HDMi to a pre/pro that is able to decode these formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up