INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current playback doesn't support processing - Dolby Atmos  (Read 978 times)

serko70

Current playback doesn't support processing - Dolby Atmos
« on: October 22, 2023, 04:06:59 am »

Has anyone managed to apply any kind of processing (ie convolution or equaliser) to bitstream Dolby Atmos playback? Can you confirm it is not possible even to base 7.1 channels?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Current playback doesn't support processing - Dolby Atmos
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 06:09:10 am »

You can decide the 7.1 core of an atmos track, apply DSP and send as pcm. This has been supported for a long time.

serko70

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 06:11:01 am »

But I will need Dolby Atmos renderer to decode, right?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 08:20:33 am »

No, it's the truehd decoder which basically just ignores the Atmos part of it

PINK FLOYD

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 02:39:24 pm »

You can decide the 7.1 core of an atmos track, apply DSP and send as pcm. This has been supported for a long time.

I don't understand this.  What do you mean by "decide" in the first sentence?  Did you mean "choose"?
In simple terms, how can I get JRiver 30 to play ATMOS movies correctly?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 02:45:19 pm »

Looks like auto correct, "decode"

Define "correctly"?

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 04:45:21 pm »

I don't understand this.  What do you mean by "decide" in the first sentence?  Did you mean "choose"?
In simple terms, how can I get JRiver 30 to play ATMOS movies correctly?
Yes, as a relative newcomer to JRiver, I would like to know this also. Bitstreaming causes occasional dropouts, so I just want a rock solid method to play 7.1 Atmos on my AVR.

From what I understand, the preferred method to handle audio in MC is by having MC do ALL of the decoding of all formats (including Atmos and DTS:X) and then sending it as PCM to the AVR. The problem with that solution is that I lose the overhead speakers of those 2 formats (Atmos and DTS:X). The good part of that solution is that I gain access to all of the DSP engines available in MC (graphic EQ, parametric EQ, etc.) and can assign them to the individual channels where they are needed/wanted. For example, due to the placement of my center speaker, I would like to add a parametric EQ to THAT SPEAKER ONLY and not use any parametric EQ on any of the other speakers. This is a fantastic feature of MC, but by not having the ability to decode Atmos/DTS:X within MC, I am left with a choice of either sending bitstream untouched to my AVR (in order to have overhead speakers with proper information) or decode the audio formats in MC (in order to have access to the DSP engines) but lose overhead speakers. My AVR is capable of creating "fake" Atmos-like overhead speakers and applying it to multichannel PCM, but it really isn't the same as having properly decoded Atmos.

I also am aware that I can create "rules" somewhere in MC so that MC bitstreams Atmos/DTS:X tracks while decoding the other audio formats, but that really doesn't work either, as in my example, my center speaker would have parametric EQ applied some of the time and not all of the time. Three questions:

1. Will MC ever be able to decode Atmos/DTS:X?
2. Can MC carry the undecoded Atmos/DTS:X along with its PCM tracks in order to "fool" the AVR into decoding the Atmos/DTS:X data?
3. Is there another solution that I don't know about?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 05:56:26 pm »

1. Ever is a long time. Not right now.
2. No.
3. Some people decode Atmos audio with some external software you can buy for a lot of money to 16 channel PCM, but I don't believe you can send that to a AVR over HDMI, and it would also be missing the full metadata the AVR uses to mix the audio. So it's only of limited use. Don't think something like that for DTS:X exists.

Bitstreaming is the only realistic way to do Atmos or DTS:X with a AVR.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eve

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 06:35:16 pm »

3. Is there another solution that I don't know about?

You can hypothetically decode the tracks, offline using one of Dolby's tools targeted at professionals, and use that as the audio for said video.
There's also hardware solutions from Arvus which get you half of the way (takes HDMI and gets you an AES67 stream which is the decoded, processed atmos matching your desired channel configuration / speaker layout) which can then be processed further.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 12:06:35 pm »

Folks might want to read Chris Connaker's series of articles on computer-based Dolby Atmos, starting with this one:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/immersive/sources-the-ultimate-guide-to-high-end-immersive-audio-r1226/

There are links at the bottom of the article for further reading.

With a new Mac, it is easy to play Dolby Atmos music/movies and apply convolution. Here is one example of the latter:
https://pttyes.com/Audiophile/M.1665305318.A.4B9 (translate to English).

eve

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 08:16:24 pm »

Folks might want to read Chris Connaker's series of articles on computer-based Dolby Atmos, starting with this one:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/immersive/sources-the-ultimate-guide-to-high-end-immersive-audio-r1226/

With a new Mac, it is easy to play Dolby Atmos music/movies and apply convolution. Here is one example of the latter:

That link is interesting (the second one) seems like it only does lossy Atmos however.

serko70

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 04:00:13 am »

Macs couldn't natively passthrough DD+ (or lossless TrueHD Atmos) on HDMI. Do you think Blackhole can be a solution to that problem without a Dolby decoder installed in the machine? I have created 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos TrueHD lossless REW sweeps a while back (256K with center channel as acoustic ref) and they work fine with JRiver in a PC but no Mac user could play them so far AFAIK:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lGFGkomIuUJ56SdOFW5y8k7ahIIZCGRH/view?usp=sharing

PS I don't have a Mac.

Pages: [1]   Go Up