INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Multichannel Mapping  (Read 465 times)

The Computer Audiophile

• World Citizen
Automatic Multichannel Mapping
« on: November 02, 2023, 09:19:30 am »

Perhaps this is already possible, like most things I ask about :~)

I have a twelve channel 7.1.4 system.
I have music that's 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, 5.1.4, 7.1, and 7.1.4

I would love to play anything in my music collection, and have the channels routed properly. Ideally I could tell MC that I have a 7.1.4 system, and it would handle the rest. I'm thinking simplicity on this one.

For example, in MC select 7.1.4 from a list of channel configurations, then ...

A. Play 4.0 quad music and have channels 1 and 2 go to the front left and right, channels 3 and 4 go to the rear left and right.
B. Play 5.1.4 music and have all the channels routed properly, rather than everything going to the first 10 of the 12 channels.
C. play anything and have it route correctly because MC knows my setup once it is selected.

Forgive me if this has been in MC since like 2009, but I guess I don't know what I don't know.

dartinbout

• Recent member
Re: Automatic Multichannel Mapping
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 02:54:30 am »

As a JR user for many years, I  have had various multichannel hardware configurations, soundcards, Okto DAC8 Pro and now a Topping DM7. I have an extensive library of multi-channel music. If I attempt to playback anything other then strict 5.1 sound, JR maps the channels everywhere but correctly. 4 channel plays just L-R, no rear channels, 5 channels maps with the back left playing the FL, the center channel plays the FR, nothing plays from the RF or the RS. I have tried every number in the channel offset. It doesn't matter if it is from a DSF or DVDA\WAV file. Nothing other the 5.1 plays correctly. Foobar, with the same hardware and drivers, plays 4 and 5 channel music through the correct channels. It is a limitation I have learned to live with but I recently obtained a large number of 3 channel classical recordings from the 50's, remastered as 5.0. I would love an answer from the support forum as to how to play these albums correctly.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 09:32:02 am »

I do think there is some dependency on the connection and your next piece of equipment in the playback string.

I have a Cambridge Audio receiver as my delivery system after the computer via HDMI.  I used to have a second zone via RCA jacks for stereo, but have foregone this long ago.  SO, I only have one output from my computer now to the receiver; HDMI.

Setup in DSP Studio as follows:

Output Format checked

Output encoding = None

Sample rate set up as no change except for 88,200 HZ which I Output at 96,000 (though some recommend 44,100)
I don't have any greater than 192,000 Hz.  I think the 88,200 is a limitation of my receiver.

Channels = "Source number of channels", though I believe if you set it to your configuration it will work by only putting silence to those not in use iirc.

Extra Channels = None

Center = 0 db

Mixing is greyed out (though I believe if you set your max number of channels above, you can choose JRSS mixing.
Subwoofer = JRSS Subwoofer (80 Hz low-pass) (though my receiver is also setup at this parameter and may do this regardless, so it's redundant)

Other set-ups gave me problems in one output or another.  This plays different outputs including 3.0. 3.1, Quad, and other surround outputs seamlessly and in mixed in playlists without error.

Will this work for you?  I don't know.  It depends on your delivery system and the hardware involved.

dartinbout

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 03:45:10 am »

Thank you for your response. HDMI is a (w)hole different kettle of fish (as they say). When I had a soundcard, RCA, with your recommended setup mis-mapped my quad and 5.0 files, using WASAPI, Kernel and Direct. Now my Topping DM7 (8 channels DAC using XLR and my previous MC DAC, the OKTO DAC8 Pro) all have the same issue using USB from my PC and ASIO. I have MC DSD and DVDA\PCM. My 5.1 all play as designed, It's only the 4.0 and 5.0. Three channel works fine as well. I can force the DVDA\PCM and DSD into 192\5.1 but I want to play these files as designed. It's been a problem for many years, so my expectations are limited. I can just use FooBar but I'd rather not for many reasons.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 08:27:18 am »

When I was using ASIO I could never get it to do mixed playlists, because the zones wouldn't change on the fly.  It's why I gave up on my DAC setup and went to HDMI for everything.  My DAC was two channel only.

Hope you find a solution.

dartinbout

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 01:41:40 am »

Doing a mixed playlist of different channeled music files, hasn't been an issue with my any of my DAC's or soundcards, as long they are either stereo or 5.1. It's only old quadrophonic or strict 5 channel music where the allocation of which channel goes wonky. They will play if I apply a strict 5.1 channel mapping and "under sample" for DSD files to 192. IN the long run it probably doesn't matter sonically, but I strive to paly the files as designed. The Topping DM7 is freaking fabulous, as an 8 channel DAC, and will play 5.1 DSD 128 (x2) back flawlessly. I should just shut my pie hole and enjoy this moment in this wonderfully rarified air of high quality, reasonably priced, audio equipment but being OCD is how I got to here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up