INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to rename/move files  (Read 648 times)

crashjtm

• Recent member
Unable to rename/move files
« on: November 03, 2023, 11:19:43 am »

For years, I've been using the rename/move files function to keep my library organized.  I have been unable to use it recently - I get an error that "Not all of the selected tracks can be renamed" In fact, none of the files are renamed.  I am attaching rename.png showing the error and an MC log file, rename.txt

I have run multiple tests - moving files on the same volume, moving them to a different volume, renaming in the same directory.  None of them are working for me.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unable to rename/move files
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 12:50:05 pm »

Go to that volume (disk) and check to see if you can create, rename, move, copy files there.  It's possible the permissions are incorrect and you no longer have write permissions.

Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 01:39:43 pm »

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the reply.

I checked to make sure I have full permissions - and I did a chown on the entire volume to make sure my account owns everything.  I confirmed that I am able to rename, copy, and erase files.  I also ran First Aid on the disk and the volume.

I just created a new library and imported all my files. It's working fine in that library.

I'll look at restoring a recent library.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 02:10:37 pm »

You might check those files you posted the screen shot of.  Can you play them from MC? 

If not, somehow the paths for those files are not what is on disk.  Hopefully restoring a recent DB backup will get you back to normal.  I really like the know the source of problems so I can understand what happened and how I might prevent it in the future.  But ultimately I'm happy when I have a solution that works.

Best of luck,
Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 02:18:11 pm »

Hey Brian,
I am able to play the files and the locate function does bring me to the right location.  I've tested a number of different directories and file types and I have the same problem with all of them.  I tried restoring a few backups and it didn't resolve the problem so I am moving forward with the new library.

Fortunately, everything is well tagged and it'll be pretty easy to recreate my views and playlists.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 07:46:16 pm »

Bob or one of the other developers might have more insight into what that message means.  I thought that, in general, it meant that the file could not be accessed.  Either it is not in the path that is listed, or the permissions don't allow the operation.  Since you can play the files, the paths should be correct.

I presume you have tried rebooting the Mac and/or unmounting and re-mounting the external drive?

I just hate to see you lose your library.  You don't have to lose the views BTW.  You can do File > Library > Clear Library  .  I believe that only clears media and leaves views and settings intact. 

Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 08:22:32 pm »

Oh - I like that. I will try the clear library.  Thanks for the advice - that would be perfect.

I'm a software developer - I tried looking at OSX logs as well as the logs I posted here and I didn't see anything.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 09:26:34 pm »

I had missed that you attached a log file to the first post here.  I don't think it's the correct log file as it does not appear to show any rename operation.  No success, no failure, no nothing.

JRiver logs are usually a zip file.  One called previous log.txt and one that is the correct log.  Usually you want the previous log, but since your log is not from a crash, I guess you want the current log?  You might just post the entire zip file that MC makes when you "collect logs" after trying the rename.

Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 09:15:53 am »

I've posted a video of the problem being reproduced - https://jmckee-jriver.s3.amazonaws.com/Rename.mov

and I've attached the log file created in that video.

Thanks,
Joe

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 05:45:47 pm »

I found two things in the log file, but I don't know if they are relevant.  There is a "jrstat filesystem" that starts and finishes in the same millisecond.  That seems a bit odd.  Then at the very end there is a failure to produce the "buy button", which seems to imply that something is wrong with the license?  But I might be misinterpreting what's going on.

I'm beyond my knowledge of how MC works here.  We really need the developers to get more info.  Or another customer who knows more than me!

Best of luck.
Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 09:31:40 pm »

Brian,
I've been playing around, trying to figure this out.  I deleted all but one file in my library. To be thorough, I backed them up and then removed from disk. I could still repro the problem. 

I tried messing with a few files in the Library.  One thing I tried was removing all the field*.jmd files modified in October.  That seems to have resolved it.  I am putting my library back together now and then I will try to narrow down which file it might be.

I feel like I am on the right track now. It might also explain some crashes I have been seeing recently.  Once I figure out what exactly it is, I will post it here.

Thanks for all the help!

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2023, 03:19:47 pm »

I forgot to check my time machine backups.  I restored a backup from mid-September and I am up and running again.  All the newer ones have the problem.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 08:15:53 am »

I have no idea what might have caused your problem.  Maybe if you send a database backup of the broken configuration to one of the developers they can figure it out.

I'm happy to hear that you are back in action with a working Library.  Nice work!

Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 08:20:08 am »

Brian,
I appreciate all the help you gave me. I have no idea what caused it but it's good to be back in business.

If the developers want, I can provide the last good and first bad backups that I have. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 04:26:18 pm »

Brian,
I appreciate all the help you gave me. I have no idea what caused it but it's good to be back in business.

If the developers want, I can provide the last good and first bad backups that I have.
Please email me the first bad backup.
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
I wonder if it has something to do with the decompressed utf-8 conversion to the library file paths. MC does this automatically on a one time basis. I can't immediately see why that should be the case since the OS will accept either form of the filename for queries.
The stat command is in the Podcast check thread which isn't relevant to this issue.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 08:23:04 am »

Library sent.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up