INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd trouble with video rendering, does MC31 address this?  (Read 292 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Odd trouble with video rendering, does MC31 address this?
« on: November 09, 2023, 05:18:26 pm »

The other day I watched an animated movie (Monsters, Inc.), ripped to my hard drive, the format is .mkv.  Oddly the video looked like it was "stuttering", kind of like viewing with a rapid strobe light.  The audio seemed fine: smooth, no drop-outs, and synced with the video.  I've posted about trouble with some Roadrunner cartoons I downloaded from archive.org and was educated about different frame rates, but this "artifact" was different in that frames weren't being skipped, nor did the "action" jump.  That's the "Why Does MC Hate the Roadrunner" thread (I think in the MC29 forum).

I verified I am using MC28 and when I looked at my video settings I was surprised to find I'd selected JRVR Red October.  I don't remember switching from JRVR.  Even stranger, when I switched back to JRVR, the stuttering video went away and the video played normally.

Does anyone have a thought about what's going on?  Do the renderer improvements in MC31 address different frame rates automatically (I never did figure out how to change my settings to get a 24 f/s video to play correctly)?

blgentry

Re: Odd trouble with video rendering, does MC31 address this?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 06:15:40 pm »

I remember your thread about the Road Runner.  But I can't seem to find it on the forum.  I don't remember if you are using a TV or a monitor.  A monitor probably can not play very many refresh rates natively.  60 Hz is universal, but anything else is questionable.  So, if you are watching something with a different frame rate, something has to covert it and it will likely look funny.

If you are using a TV, then you'll want to make sure that frame rate switching is turned on.  Video playback in MC with a PC, is quite complex and has an enormous number of settings.  I do not use MC on a PC and thus am not familiar with the settings for frame rate.  Hopefully someone else can help you.

You said that JRVR fixed your problem so... is there still a problem to be solved?

Take care,
Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 09:03:17 pm »

Hello, blgentry.  First thing, that old thread is here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133111.msg924548.html#msg924548

I'll have to go back to reread that thread and try to recreate the problem.  The single Roadrunner cartoon I'm playing now as a test is playing correctly.  I remember the person helping me in my old thread stating frame rate adjustment is advanced and required some trial-and-error.  I'll admit to having little patience for trial-and-error which is probably why I never got my system to display 24 fps correctly.  I am using a television rather than a monitor, but it's a old plasma TV, which I was told may not be able to handle 24 fps well. 

Back to my question for this thread: any theory about the different performance between JRVR and Red October with the exact same video file? 

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 09:26:40 pm »

It was zybex who tried the most to help me out.

Red October standard with Display Settings automatic change mod: Off seems to work for both Monsters, Inc and The Roadrunner.  I just switched to Red October JRVR and the video started stuttering. 

I was unable to get the frame rate to pop-up using <CTRL>-J using either Red October or RO JRVR.  I guess I'll have to add the Frame Rate tag to my display so I'll know.  But hopefully the problem is solved now.  Fingers crossed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up