INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Error  (Read 395 times)

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
Tagging Error
« on: November 15, 2023, 12:10:56 pm »

I am getting a tagging error constantly. Virtually every time the player changes track I get the error that "MC encountered errors while tagging or moving files" - I'm not even editing the tags at that point! Plus, obviously it also happens when I try to change a file's tag whilst it is being played or MC adds lyrics. If I change a tag of file not being played, it's fine.

I have checked to see if any other application is using the file (There isn't anything) and that the files aren't set to read-only.  The files are all set to 'owned' by my current PC user.

Annoyingly, it isn't EVERY time which makes it harder to pin down.

My files are all stored on a separate SSD than the system/application.

Any ideas?
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Error
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 07:02:09 am »

As MC changes tracks, it will increment the play count and will change the Last Played Date.  Those values get written to MC's database.  If you also have the "update file tags" switch turned on, then MC will try to write those values into the file metadata tags also.

Normally I would say that your files are read only or something else is preventing writes to them.  Something like security software or something.  But you have said that they are not read only. 

You also indicate that you can change the tags manually without issue.  Can you make a change to a file and then check that file with an external tag reader like KID3, MP3TAG, VLC, etc?  It would be instructive to see if the tags really are changing inside the file or not. 

You might also go examine the file itself on the very next failure you get.  Does the Last Played Date reflect the play that just happened?  Is that particular file actually writable?  it's possible that your drive and your top level folder are read/write, but individual files are read only.

You could "shotgun it" and run a recursive permissions change on the entire drive.  I wouldn't do that until I was sure, but it's one approach.

Best of luck,
Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 07:14:54 am »

One of the directories above could be read only.

Or the file type may not support tagging.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 10:33:40 am »

Thanks for the replies.

The files are either mp3 or flac so definitely support tagging.

The file's tags DO change once MC moves onto the next track with the updated info, so MC is able to change the file (Meaning it can't be read-only?) To make sure, I set the owner of the whole disk to my current user and set all security to "Full Control" (I even added 'Guest' and 'Everyone' and enabled "Full Control" to them too) across the board but the error still pops up.

Just to add, all files are on separate SSD, my 'F' drive, in a folder called 'Music', so there's no other folder above it.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 12:56:28 pm »

So MC is successful in the change, but it reports an error?  That's interesting.

Two thoughts:

1.  You should enable logging, wait for it to happen, then collect the logs and submit them here or directly to the developers.  The MC log will tell them more details about why MC is throwing the error.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

2.  It's possible that disk has some sort of problem.  It might be software.  Have you rebooted?  It might be hardware.  This is a guess.

Best of luck,
Brian.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 07:20:50 am »

I have created a log. I tried to edit the 'Name' tag on a file called "F:\Music\Faith No More\(1992) Angel Dust\Caffeine.mp3"

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 09:13:41 am »

That log seems to show success in tagging your file.  Did MC indicate an error while tagging?

Brian.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 09:59:44 am »

Yeah, that's the weird thing, the error message came up

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 11:17:08 am »

Daniel - Where is you MC Library/Database Located - Because I've just checked your log against one of mine and whilst yours is showing MC did write the tags to the file unlike in my log it is not showing/reporting that MC wrote the tags to the library.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 04:14:02 pm »

It is in the default location - "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 31\Library" - Nothing is set to read-only or anything there
Pages: [1]   Go Up