INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing tag fields in General group  (Read 334 times)

MikeBRG

• Recent member
Missing tag fields in General group
« on: November 21, 2023, 05:37:39 pm »

What happened to the 'source' and 'version' fields in the General tag list? They seem to have disappeared in MC 30 and 31 and cannot be replaced from the customise lists.

I use them a lot! Did I miss something?  >:(

Mike B
Mac mini M1 Sonoma 14.1.1

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Missing tag fields in General group
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 05:53:01 pm »

I think it's this problem:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=137199.0

and there is a way to recover what you've got. 

Make sure you are now using MC31.0.83.

MikeBRG

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 06:07:34 pm »

Thanks for the rapid response. Sure looks like it.

Started with MC31.0.83 today as an upgrade!

I shall try the suggested remedy and advise.

MikeB

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 06:17:02 pm »

Backup first.

MikeBRG

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 01:31:10 pm »

I have many backups for many versions and also the files are updated with the tags as I go. I have just purchased the license for MC31 and have nothing to lose as I can always reinstall MC and restore from a previous library.

I find that the tag fields 'source' and 'version' last appeared in MC29.0.91 and I can access this version and all the old library backups and library files. (.jmd etc).

I have read the suggestions from the Windows gurus but not had any luck getting me back to where I was, but preferably now using MC 31.0.83. Most of my 11k files have data entered in one or two of the missing fields. The data is still in the files as tags and the tag memories may still be there but I cannot get them to display.

I have tried the following: to generate two new Tag fields in MC 31 by entering two new user defined fields and naming them source1 and version'. I did this using the library entries you get to by burrowing down from Tools/Options/ Library and Folders/Expressions/Manage Library Fields/ Add new field and then OK. I also used and check the entries obtained from the Tagging box on the front page and calling up Customise. (I am confused by how these two lists of fields interact). In some lists, the old field 'version' can be seen but it cannot be called up. Strange. The new fields can now be seen in the Tag box of the main display.

I then tried to bring the data from MC29 across into the MC31 listed .jmd files. I found that the two new MC31 fields only appeared in the MC31 .jmd list if some data is entered into the field in the program. I then tried to substitute the old data for the new data. I copied the two relevant MC29 files and changed their old names (source and version) into the new names (source1 and version1) and then moved them into the enhanced MC31 lists. Unfortunately this does not work. No historic tag data from these two fields appears in the field entry of the tag list. Clicking on 'update library from tags' has no effect either. MC 31 is not picking up on the old field entries in the substituted files and the .jmd files in MC31 say that the files have not been opened today! If I add data to the field using Tag, this overwrites the old data in the .jmd file, so MC is seeing these replaced .jmd files but only one way round (write). How do I get MC to 'read' these?

I do not think it is mac permissions as it is all on the same machine with one user (me).

Having spent over half a day on this, I am asking for help. All suggestions welcomed.

Mike B

MC and library file on HD of mac mini M1.  Sonoma 14.1.1   Music Files on NAS.

Amendment: 1 hour on. I think I have inadvertantly changed the filepath for each file between MC29 and MC31. Let me look into this before anyone spends time with suggestions other than to say that the approach should work if i get my file collections back in order. Thanks. MikeB

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 03:34:50 pm »

It's probably this problem:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=137199.0

There is a solution.

MikeBRG

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 02:31:25 pm »

'Hello Tag fields, my old friend(s), I've come to talk with you again....'

Been around since mac MC 21 in 2016. Good to have them back. Thanks for making them available again.

MC 31.0.83 plus a good backup did the trick, even using an MC 30 backup. All now present and correct. No need for my user fields.

I confused everything by having a NAS swap almost at the same time. I used the old NAS to recover the data and then did the 'find and replace' on the NAS file paths. All good now.

MikeB
Pages: [1]   Go Up