INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starter question about what JRiver I need  (Read 663 times)

AgingGuru

Starter question about what JRiver I need
« on: November 23, 2023, 11:05:53 am »

Apologies for the 'newbie' question. Please can you check my thinking below ...

I have a collection of several thousand classical CDs I want to turn into a ripped library (let's ignore the debate about streaming services here). On my home network I run a Synology NAS, various Windows PCs, and have SONOS speakers wired in. We also use various phones and tablets ...

From what I read I like JRiver as a media center as it looks like it will allow me to configure it to present the library in the way I want. The ripped files will be on the NAS (one of the reasons I got it a while ago). The NAS is 'always on', the Windows PCs are not.

How best can I install JRiver? It looks to me that I can't install it on the NAS, (I'm not a Linux or Docker expert), but I can install it on a Windows PC, which would then access the source files on the NAS. As I don't want to control the playing from the PC, I would have to have JRemote on an iPad (say) and link that to the MC on the PC, and then push the output through the SONOS speakers. I would have to suffer the fact that playing music depends on the PC being on.

Questions:
  • Do I have the basic facts above correct? IS there an option I've missed?
  • Will JRemote on an iPad give me the same GUI for music selection as the MC GUI on the PC? (I don't want to go to the work of setting up the view I want and find it's not available on JRemote)
  • If I do the above and it works well - is it simple to move off the PC onto a JRiver ID later? I want to avoid the up-front investment until I prove the solution.

On a side note does anyone have a recommendation for a good CD ripper for classical music, thinking about maximising the tags and album artwork it finds?

[/list]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Starter question about what JRiver I need
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 12:44:29 pm »

Just download the trial version to a PC and get started.  Set up File Locations in MC's options.  Set up auto import and browse to the NAS.  The wiki has lots of information that will help.

JRemote will let you control playback on the PC.  The interface isn't identical. 

AgingGuru

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 02:14:47 pm »

OK, possibly outside your remit this one but let's see.

I have the trial version running, and it looks good so far. My problem is trying to get playback onto the SONOS speakers across my home network. The PC (Windows 10) can see them on the network but doesn't recognise them as audio devices, which I believe they have to be for the player to be able to assign them to a zone.

Any ideas on how I can get the player output to the speakers? I have a horrible suspicion that by not using the SONOS player app I may need more hardware.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 10:36:38 am »

You can use the browser interface, Panel, to play your music on DNLA devices without needing JRemote.
Docker isn't difficult to setup on Synology so don't dismiss the idea.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 09:58:04 am »

MC will definitely see and play to Sonos speakers. Make sure they are on the same network as your PC.

Make sure DLNA is enabled in Tools - Options - Media Network.

Then the Sonos speakers should appear in Playing now. You may have to close and reopen MC to see them.  Once you can see them on MC on the PC, you should also be able to see them in JRemote.

As long as they are grouped in the Sonos app, playing to one will play to all the speakers in that group, using the Sonos synchronization system.

Pages: [1]   Go Up