INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver's Theater View and WMC Navigation  (Read 797 times)

mcq

• World Citizen
JRiver's Theater View and WMC Navigation
« on: November 21, 2023, 09:32:53 am »

Pleased to help too.

To be honest as a basic starter position for anyone coming from WMC - I'd like an option to emulate that as near as possible -
a) because it enables faster familiarity to ex WMC users - instead of being sent to multiple posts etc.
b) because of its simple X (rolling) Y format is the easiest to use from a remote.

I'm speaking for those who simply want to sit 10' away and easily drive JR like they would a TV or WMC.

JR should be capable of launching directly in this 'view' - even if it requires parameters such as - "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 31\Media Center 31.exe" /v=wmc
This should be the function called by the 'Green Button'

I regard all other views as simply to be visited when setting up - not daily lounge use.

Not seen any of your earlier work.

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver's Theater View and WMC Navigation
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 10:07:46 pm »

I apologize if I misunderstood your request, but I currently turn on JRiver by simply clicking on the Green Button and it opens in Theater View mode

mcq

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 12:50:14 pm »

Hi @lello

Thanks for reply and that's true - but if launching from a PC with a mouse is there an argument that will do the same thing please?

The more important element of my post was to have a view which emulates the XY scroll action of WMC where the 'origin is 1 sq up and one in from the left.
That's the launch screen I need where the first 3 squares on the X axis are the same as those on a Green Button remote.
I appreciate it is not as esoteric as other folks desires - but that's what my users are used to and don't want anything different - please.
Many thanks

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 12:05:40 pm »

Of course, I click on the MC icon with the mouse and it immediately opens in Theater View mode.

But are your settings like mine?

mcq

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 12:53:33 pm »

Hi lello

That's a great help - now opening in Theatre view  ;) - many thanks indeed.
My 'Behaviour' options - under Tools > Options > General  - has many more and different options to yours.
Is there more than one  'Behaviours' list?

Now the XY axis thing - if you've ever used WMC you'll know exactly what I mean - but can't find an easy way to post a screen shot?
Would have thought it would have been under 'Attachments and other options'

Grateful for your help so far.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 01:31:23 pm »

The navigation is different from WMC's, but it's pretty easy to use.  Just use the arrow keys and OK (Enter).  The left arrow always backs you out.

mcq

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 04:13:25 pm »

Hi again @lello
Just found the second set of 'Behaviours' under Theatre View - I actually had those values set but thank you anyway.
I presume the method you used to include pictures in your post is not straight forward/obvious.

I've seen Jim's reply re XY axis navigation - I have been using the existing 'view' for a couple of years now but don't find it as ergonomic as I'd like.
Seeing that this section of the forum is about 'Theatre View Changes' and assuming you're involved in that, perhaps you would keep my request in mind.

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 04:51:39 pm »

I've seen Jim's reply re XY axis navigation - I have been using the existing 'view' for a couple of years now but don't find it as ergonomic as I'd like.
Is it better or just different?  If better, why?

Are you using both JRiver and WMC now?

mcq

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 06:08:27 pm »

Yes I use both WMC in user areas and WMC and JR in my study dev area.

WMC is much quicker to navigate to the functions I need.
If I could find a way of posting some images it would be easier to explain - but for instance on start up I need to be homed on 'Recorded TV' (that's all the recordings on this and other networked devices - some 2000 wtv files - they need to be laid out with small thumbs and in date recorded or title order - selectable on that page) - button to the right needs to be 'Guide' - next button 'Live' (i.e.) the channel last selected in the Guide or recorded.
That would then mirror exactly the buttons on the GnBttn remote.
When in Recorded TV - program info needs to be faded into bottom section of screen depending on the recording that has focus - then a single click should play - JR requires an extra click to 'watch'.
It's midnight here so won't go on but i could illustrate better if I knew how to add pics.
Thanks for taking on board. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 06:36:16 pm »

It may be quicker, in part, because you've used it longer.

We made a decision a long time ago to put movies, even if recorded from TV, under Movies.  Everything else is a Show.

You can change some of the names in Theater View and move some things around.  Check Theater View Options.

mcq

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 08:09:56 am »

I appreciate that familiarity with WMC is an element - but then so it will be for all/any potential migrators from WMC in their free 30 day trial - first impressions count - is it love - or at least familiarity - at first sight?

That said for a WMC user's direct replacement's needs, JR's navigation is not as quick/good by some way - my view I know.

There are times when broadcasters show what are technically movies but are not identified as such in the xlmtv EPG feed.
If that's what JR uses to differentiate, then it's vulnerable to mis-categorisation - more likely my users will simply remember that they recorded it from a TV channel - hence Recorded TV.

I spent several months wrestling with Theatre view's options but didn't get very near where I needed to be - then because I couldn't find how to save it successfully, lost the lot with JR 31 upgrade - I also became limited by my lack of coding skills.

My real point here is, JR is a positive trove of options and all involved should be very very proud of their collective achievement.
But for WMC migrators - or if you like luddites - would it not be possible amongst all the other Theatre View developments - to have a WMC view please.

New/ ex WMC users in their intro email could then be guided to this link by @lello https://ibb.co/1Q6Nzb0 where there would be a WMC 'mode' - which would see them start with something familiar.
The rest of the welcoming message then explaining that there is a wealth of extra features to be discovered and enjoyed.

But first impressions count in these things and I have spent a large chunk of this year trying to massage JR into something that is user friendly to my users and have so far failed.
That is a great shame because the underlying expertise and programming skills that have gone into the product are stupendous.

We now have wtv recording fully fixed thanks to Yaobing's skills, so, can anyone on the Theatre View development side engage with me on this - please.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 08:45:23 am »

If you can make specific suggestions, we can take a look at minor changes, but emulating Windows Media Center isn't going to happen.  In my opinion, it would be a major distraction, with little gain.

A recording of a single show of more than an hour is a movie.  It works pretty well.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 04:17:17 pm »

Navigation in Theater View is very easy as is, but there are a couple of small things that could make it better.

1) Any of the 3d views prevent the user from clicking left and backing out into the roller. Right now, nothing happens. All other flat (non-3d views) work as expected.

2) When jumping into a root library item from the home screen, MC automatically jumps to the file list in the previously viewed child library view. I always end up having to click left or up and then choose which child library view I actually wanted to view. At least make this an option to toggle on or off.

3) When drilling down more than two layers when clicking on a view i.e. viewing a file, viewing the genre for that file, and then clicking on another movie within that list, then backing out of that list result in zero results.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up