INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC31 crashes  (Read 2968 times)

swcng2001

• Recent member
MC31 crashes
« on: December 03, 2023, 05:49:13 am »

Over the months, I've noticed MC crashing on my iMac. I've not bothered to report it, this last time however the crash report produced by MacOS was available, so I've decided to post it here hoping one of the developers will see it and try and analyse it and perhaps find the cause and a fix for it.

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC31 crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 09:07:20 am »

Over the months, I've noticed MC crashing on my iMac. I've not bothered to report it, this last time however the crash report produced by MacOS was available, so I've decided to post it here hoping one of the developers will see it and try and analyse it and perhaps find the cause and a fix for it.

Thanks.
Not much there to indicate why it crashed. What were you doing at the time?

Also, when you post a crash log, in the report, please do a select all, then copy. Paste into textedit and save that as a text file to attach here.
The variable width fonts in the PDF are hard to read.
Thanks.

swcng2001

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 09:28:03 pm »

Bob,

I will remember your advice for the next time.

I forget the events leading up to the crash. I think MC31 had been idle for some time before I thought I would listen to something and it simply crashed. Not much to go by. So better ignore it for now and I will send on the log next time.

Thanks.

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 01:46:48 pm »

Bob,

Over the past week or so, my JRiver Media Center (Mac version 31.0.83) has crashed the same way, with the same 'invalid access' fault, at least a dozen times.  I have a 2020 iMac 27 inch, quad core Intel processor, 32 GBytes RAM, and I'm running Ventura 13.5.2.  I have fiber internet, so bandwidth isn't an issue.  The last hardware info is that I am playing to an external DAC via USB.

I have been burning in several electrical components in a stereo system, so I've been running Media Center around the clock.  I have a playlist that has several hundred songs in it, and I queue it up and let it go.  The playlist is a combination of songs that are on an external SSD, as well as others that I've collected from Cloudplay (a terrific feature, by the way).   The system will run for variable amounts of time (several minutes to several hours), and when I come in to check on things, the Media Center is no longer active (the icon in the system tray does not have a dot under it).  There is always a crash report.

To try to half-split the problem, I ran an experiment where I selected an album that I had the track flacs all on an SSD, and put them in a continuous play loop.  In other words, no network interactions involved.  The system has been running sixteen hours without a hitch.

I will switch back to a mixture of local and streamed tracks, and try to capture a trace for you...
Ron

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 02:05:38 pm »

Bob,

After running sixteen hours without a hitch when playing flacs from a SSD, this crash occurred in less than fifteen minutes when playing local and streamed flacs.

I hope this is useful for you.  Let me know if you need something else...
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 07:20:46 pm »

Thanks. That's pretty wacky. It was doing some drawing in a background thread when it crashed.
What was in your MC window?

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 08:46:52 pm »

The beginning part of the playlist.  Since it only ran for fifteen minutes or so, it was only a little way down from the top of the list.

What were you referring to when you said 'It was doing some drawing in a background thread when it crashed'? 

What can I do to help you figure this out?  Would you like me to stop everything else, and just see how it runs by itself?
Ron

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 08:26:28 am »

Bob,

Here is another crash report.  This time, I turned off most of the other applications that were running (Chrome, Apple Mail, Messages, Compressor, Excel, and VLC):  I just remembered that ESET anti-virus and Malwarebytes were still on, although realtime protection was 'off' in both applications.  Other than that, the only other programs that were running were system programs.

I hope this helps you...
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 08:38:30 am »

Bob,

Here is another crash report.  This time, I turned off most of the other applications that were running (Chrome, Apple Mail, Messages, Compressor, Excel, and VLC):  I just remembered that ESET anti-virus and Malwarebytes were still on, although realtime protection was 'off' in both applications.  Other than that, the only other programs that were running were system programs.

I hope this helps you...
Ron
That one crashed on a socket close of a network read (which shouldn't happen of course).
Can you do an Apple Hardware Diagnostic check? Perhaps it's bad ram.

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 10:51:59 am »

Bob,

In order to further isolate the problem, I am now running the system on MC 30, instead of MC 31. 

On your hypothesis of bad RAM, I'll run the Apple Diagnostics after we see if the system runs forever on MC 30 or not.  However, if it was bad RAM, wouldn't the system have crashed when I only continuously looped it on flacs on a local SSD?  The system ran for sixteen hours without a hitch.
Ron

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 09:23:52 pm »

Bob,

Using the same playlist, MC 30 does not crash. 
Ron

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 01:21:47 pm »

I get a crash every time I switch the Library and then click on some view.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 02:57:27 pm »

We need the full version of MC and the O.S.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 04:18:58 pm »

It has occurred for many releases, macOS versions

MC29, 30, 31.
Ventura, Sonoma

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 06:45:59 pm »

Is there a way for me to tell when my mac went to the latest release of MC 31?  The crashes have only been happening for the last week, at the most.
Ron

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2023, 08:30:16 pm »

After running over a day without any crashes on MC 30, I switched back to MC 31.  I was editing some Powerpoint slides, so nothing taxing the cpus (the cooling fans weren't on).  It crashed in less than thirty minutes.

I hope this crash report can help you.  Let me know if you want me to help with fault isolation.
Ron

PS - would it help you if I uninstall / reinstall MC 31?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 07:01:55 am »

Probably not.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 09:33:44 am »

It has occurred for many releases, macOS versions

MC29, 30, 31.
Ventura, Sonoma
Post a copy/paste from the Apple crash report please.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 09:36:06 am »

After running over a day without any crashes on MC 30, I switched back to MC 31.  I was editing some Powerpoint slides, so nothing taxing the cpus (the cooling fans weren't on).  It crashed in less than thirty minutes.

I hope this crash report can help you.  Let me know if you want me to help with fault isolation.
Ron

The crash report appears to be from the playerlib at the end of a thread.
What exactly was happening at the time? Start of song, end of song, trackinfo playing, etc.
Do you have memory playback enabled?
What device are you playing to?
Are you running media server?

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 11:50:12 am »

Bob,

I was playing a playlist I downloaded from Cloudplay (all 24 bit flacs).  I was editing a Powerpoint presentation, so the MC display was in the background.  Everything was playing OK, and it just stopped, MC went away (when it crashes, the dot under the icon in the system tray disappears), and up popped the crash report.

I do not have memory playback enabled:  should I? 

I am playing via USB to a Chord MScaler, which outputs to an external DAC.

I do not think media server is running.  In Tools>Options>Startup, nothing is started. 

Could there be an interaction with antivirus or antimalware software?  I run ESET Cyber Security and Malwarebytes, but I currently have real-time protection disabled while we are trying to figure this one out.
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 12:11:21 pm »

Bob,

I was playing a playlist I downloaded from Cloudplay (all 24 bit flacs).  I was editing a Powerpoint presentation, so the MC display was in the background.  Everything was playing OK, and it just stopped, MC went away (when it crashes, the dot under the icon in the system tray disappears), and up popped the crash report.

I do not have memory playback enabled:  should I? 

I am playing via USB to a Chord MScaler, which outputs to an external DAC.

I do not think media server is running.  In Tools>Options>Startup, nothing is started. 

Could there be an interaction with antivirus or antimalware software?  I run ESET Cyber Security and Malwarebytes, but I currently have real-time protection disabled while we are trying to figure this one out.
Ron

Thanks for the detailed info.
I don't THINK it's an antivirus issue. Since you downloaded the playlist it SHOULD be all local.
Were you using any trackinfos?
Do you think it had reached the end (within the last 6 seconds) of the playing track?

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2023, 02:41:17 pm »

I run ESET Cyber Security and Malwarebytes

This is my opinion only.  People will probably vehemently disagree.  Ready?

Antivirus softare on a Mac is useless.  It's less than useless.  It's something to cause problems and get in the way.  It is unnecessary.

In more than a decade of using Macs and having friends and family that use Macs, I don't know of anyone that has gotten a virus on a Mac.  No one I know runs anti-virus on a Mac.  The only person that's ever advocated it to me worked for a Mac specific anti-virus company.  Even he admits that the threat is nearly zero.

That said, I do know of several people that have installed software THEMSELVES, as an administrator because a web site popped up something that told them to do so.  They were tricked into action.  Anit-virus can't prevent you from being manipulated into a bad decision.  The only defense against that is education.  Don't install software because a web popup too you to.

I recommend removing your AV software and saving your money for something else.

Brian.

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 03:22:53 pm »

I have a Macbook Pro 14 M1.  Can I also install Media Center on that laptop (with my current mac license), and see whether the problem exists there, as well?
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2023, 04:23:16 pm »

I have a Macbook Pro 14 M1.  Can I also install Media Center on that laptop (with my current mac license), and see whether the problem exists there, as well?
Ron
Yes

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 07:16:06 am »

To keep trying to isolate the problem, I outputted to a different external DAC:  an Audioquest Dragonfly.  I used a Cloudplay playlist, selected a group of songs that are all streamed from the Cloudplay server (no local songs on my SSD), put them in repeat mode, and let it go.

The system did not crash overnight. 
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2023, 08:25:08 am »

To keep trying to isolate the problem, I outputted to a different external DAC:  an Audioquest Dragonfly.  I used a Cloudplay playlist, selected a group of songs that are all streamed from the Cloudplay server (no local songs on my SSD), put them in repeat mode, and let it go.

The system did not crash overnight. 
Ron
Changing devices was a good test.
What are your MC audio device settings for the other DAC?

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2023, 09:45:56 am »

Here are the MScaler audio settings...
Ron

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2023, 10:16:06 am »

Is there a logging capability that I can turn on to see what happens just before the system crashes?
Ron

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2023, 04:47:02 pm »

Bob or Jim,

Here is another crash dump.  Same scenario:  streaming music from Cloudplay server, come back in the room, MC crashed.
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2023, 08:08:56 am »

Is there a logging capability that I can turn on to see what happens just before the system crashes?
Ron
Turn on MC's logging. It logs audio device open extensively.

Note that integer mode generally required exclusive for nearly all Mac audio devices, either turn those switches both on or both off.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2023, 02:30:03 pm »

Post a copy/paste from the Apple crash report please.

It's too large to fit via copy / paste w/out truncation.  Attached.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2023, 01:57:30 pm »

Here's another crash.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2023, 09:44:22 am »

Here's another crash.
Do you have any webviews up at the time? Before or after switching?

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2023, 09:48:54 am »

Do you have any webviews up at the time? Before or after switching?

No.  I just open the library or program, select an album view, click on a file, and it crashes.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2023, 10:18:13 am »

No.  I just open the library or program, select an album view, click on a file, and it crashes.
It looks like it's crashing in javascript in the webkit code which would imply a web view which is why I asked.
Can you supply a MC log to go along with the crash log please?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2023, 10:58:39 am »

Just sent you a PM

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2023, 05:21:57 pm »

Unfortunately, I had another crash after switching libraries.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 04:19:46 pm »

Another crash.  This time I was defining a new Link, hit OK, and Crash.

Would you like the .ips crash file?

And another crash while I was away from my Desk.  I came back and MC had crashed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 09:04:23 pm »

Another crash.  This time I was defining a new Link, hit OK, and Crash.

Would you like the .ips crash file?

And another crash while I was away from my Desk.  I came back and MC had crashed.
Was it playing at the time?
Please upload any apple crash reports. I may ask for a log depending on the report.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 09:12:11 pm »

No, it was not playing.  The system was idle.

Crashes attached.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2024, 09:51:21 am »

No, it was not playing.  The system was idle.

Crashes attached.
Would you mind posting the apple crash reports? Copy/paste from them into a textedit file and zip that up.
The ones you attached don't appear to have a traceback.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2024, 10:31:37 am »

Would you mind posting the apple crash reports? Copy/paste from them into a textedit file and zip that up.
The ones you attached don't appear to have a traceback.

Here they are.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2024, 11:00:32 am »

Here they are.
These are very weird errors. The second one is on a right-click release according to the backtrace.

Have you tried doing a Apple Hardware test? Perhaps it's a memory issue.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2024, 11:30:23 am »

These are very weird errors. The second one is on a right-click release according to the backtrace.

Might have been.  I'm controlling the system via Universal Control.

Have you tried doing a Apple Hardware test? Perhaps it's a memory issue.

I just did, no issues.

There has been no evidence of memory issues.  This system is a workhorse.  I'm using it for development 12+ hours a day.  It had been up for 30 days.  It's a backup server for three machines, runs as a server for a couple of other pieces of software, and is a file server for terabytes of data.

MC is the *only* program that routinely crashes in various ways.  I've been monitoring the crash reports for several months now.

I don't mean to be critical, but I've just learned to live with MC crashes on macOS.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2024, 11:51:03 am »

Might have been.  I'm controlling the system via Universal Control.

I just did, no issues.

There has been no evidence of memory issues.  This system is a workhorse.  I'm using it for development 12+ hours a day.  It had been up for 30 days.  It's a backup server for three machines, runs as a server for a couple of other pieces of software, and is a file server for terabytes of data.

MC is the *only* program that routinely crashes in various ways.  I've been monitoring the crash reports for several months now.

I don't mean to be critical, but I've just learned to live with MC crashes on macOS.

I did a quick search and see a lot of reports of crashing with and from universal access. That could explain why your issue with MC seems unusual.

Will take a look at this when I get a chance. Bump this if you don't hear back for a while.

swcng2001

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2024, 06:11:02 pm »

Bob,

I will remember your advice for the next time.

I forget the events leading up to the crash. I think MC31 had been idle for some time before I thought I would listen to something and it simply crashed. Not much to go by. So better ignore it for now and I will send on the log next time.

Thanks.

OK Guys,

MC31 crashed again (seems to me there no apparent reason). It happens intermittently and it's not for something that I've done that I can repeat definitively. I was just playing a couple of tracks and edited some tags and it crashed.

I captured the logs for MacOS and MC31 which I'm attaching. Hopefully it contains the info you need.

I use an iMac running Ventura 13.5.2 (see screen shot enclosed).

swcng2001

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2024, 08:19:43 pm »

Is anyone actively working to solve this? The same problem may also be in MC32. It has definitely affected the previous version MC30 as I have had that running on another Mac and it also crashes rather frequently.

I have a Linux version of MC31 running on Linux Mint 21 with an ASUS PN64 i7 NUC and there has not been issues after running about a week.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2024, 01:31:23 am »

A Mac crash was fixed in 32.0.12.  You can read more here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138043.msg957401.html#msg957401

It's possible it's related.  It started happening suddenly recently, so I think it's due to an Apple update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up