INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash on trying to change display track info  (Read 530 times)

Phillip Mannion

• Recent member
Crash on trying to change display track info
« on: December 04, 2023, 05:41:27 am »

This is happening consistently. I am trying to not display cover art in the Playing Now window, instead I want to display track info only, which I try and set up by a right click in the Playing Now window and then chosing the option I want. It doesn't matter which display I choose, MC crashes. I also run MC on Windows and I managed to get it working there using the same method.

It's a minor issue for me, but even if it doesn't work that way on a Mac it would be better if it didn't crash, I suppose.

Phillip

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Crash on trying to change display track info
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 07:25:13 am »

Phillip - Which Mac OS and MC versions are you using because ever since Monterey (V12) bob has made loading and switching between TrackInfo Plugins virtually error/problem free; despite Apple making his task harder nearly every time they release a new OS Version.

In addition which TrackInfo Plugins are you trying to load as some of the older ones may not be fully compatible with the Mac Platform?
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Phillip Mannion

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 03:59:24 am »

The OS is Sierra 10.12.6 - it's a Macbook Air 2017, and I found on the MacWorld website that that is almost the latest version available, and I can't find the very latest one for it. I don't believe I can put Monterey on it. If you know otherwise please let me know. Certainly on the software updates page the only update listed as available is for Paint!

The version of MC is 31.0.83 and the TrackInfo stuff would be whatever came with it. I haven't installed anything else.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 09:02:19 am »

The OS is Sierra 10.12.6 - it's a Macbook Air 2017, and I found on the MacWorld website that that is almost the latest version available, and I can't find the very latest one for it. I don't believe I can put Monterey on it. If you know otherwise please let me know. Certainly on the software updates page the only update listed as available is for Paint!

The version of MC is 31.0.83 and the TrackInfo stuff would be whatever came with it. I haven't installed anything else.
Unfortunately there are Mac brower api changes between 10.12, 10.13 and newer that will affect trackinfos.

They shouldn't crash but may not work as intended.

Your device will support up to Monterey natively but I think your best bet would be to go to Big Sur (11.x).
Big Sur works well on that hardware and you don't really get anything out of going to Monterey which seems slower and more buggy.
Sierra is now out of support for most packages. You aren't going to be able to get root certs and modern browser builds on it.

If you go to System preferences->Software update you should see an option to upgrade.
If the only available version there is Monterey I wouldn't do that one. There are other ways of getting Big Sur.

Two caveats, if you update past 10.13 (High Sierra) you won't be able to run any 32 bit apps any more so if you have ones you've paid for you need to take that into consideration (older versions of photoshop and others).
The second is that you need at least 36GB of free space on your drive to update.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 11:17:35 am »

Two caveats, if you update past 10.13 (High Sierra) you won't be able to run any 32 bit apps any more so if you have ones you've paid for you need to take that into consideration (older versions of photoshop and others).
The second is that you need at least 36GB of free space on your drive to update.
That first one really made my eyebrows lift. I really hope Microsoft don't follow them down that route with Windows.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 07:50:10 am »

Regarding not being able to run 32 bit Mac programs:
That first one really made my eyebrows lift. I really hope Microsoft don't follow them down that route with Windows.

It's really a non-issue.  There are a very small number of people that "need" to run 32 bit apps that they bought 10 years ago or something like that.  This is the price of progress.  Apple has always been like this and there has always been dramatic outrage over it.  Remember when they got rid of the floppy drive?  How about when they introduced that strange connector that no one had ever seen before?  It was called USB.  Or when they removed the CD-ROM ?

All of this is ancient history, but it illustrates that Apple moves on.  It's "a problem" for a tiny minority of people.  They deal with it for a while and then they move on with the rest of the world.

Part of me really REALLY wants computers to be like machines.  You learn a complex machine and know everything about it.  It doesn't change for years.  Decades even.  It continues to do exactly what it did.  As an operator or service technician you can be a real expert.  You can almost sense when something is going wrong because you know the system so well and it doesn't change.  That would be nice for my job as a computer tech/admin/etc.

But the reality is very different (unless you work on Mainframes).  Computers change constantly.  It's annoying.  But it's part of this game we play.  If you don't want your cheese moved, you should not use or work with computers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese%3F

I think that's enough philosophy for the morning!

Take care,
Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 08:12:46 am »

blgentry is speaking as a user, in support of Apple.

Speaking for JRiver, Microsoft also moves on, but is much more careful about backward compatibility.

We spend a significant amount of time picking up the pieces when Apple breaks something.

Phillip Mannion

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 03:51:10 am »

Thanks for the advice on this. I will see if I can get my partner to agree that we upgrade the os. It's her macbook, so I had better not just do it. As Homer Simpson discovered once, the defence of "But Honey - I thought you'd never find out" doesn't really work if things get broken as a result!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 08:25:09 am »

Thanks for the advice on this. I will see if I can get my partner to agree that we upgrade the os. It's her macbook, so I had better not just do it. As Homer Simpson discovered once, the defence of "But Honey - I thought you'd never find out" doesn't really work if things get broken as a result!
I did some testing and I just can't seem to get 10.11 and 10.12 to behave for trackinfo browser calls.
If you can do without them (and just use cover art view) you should be OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up