INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System volume controls  (Read 403 times)

dannylin

• Recent member
System volume controls
« on: December 04, 2023, 08:40:58 pm »

Hi,

I'm curious about how the System volume control mode works.

Here's what I thought: I assume MC31 will listen to the system volume change events and automatically adjust its own volume accordingly.

I currently use a mechanical keyboard where F10 is assigned to mute, F11 to volume down, and F12 to volume up. To streamline my experience, I set MC31 to the system volume through the menu Player\Volume\System Volume. However, when attempting to toggle F11 and F12, I noticed that it doesn't affect MC31's volume. Interestingly, this functionality seems to work seamlessly when launching a browser to watch content on platforms like YouTube or Netflix.

I should note that this behavior used to work in MC29 or earlier versions, but even in MC29, I've experienced occasional loss of the ability to control player volume through system volume changes.

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or guidance you could provide to help me understand and potentially resolve this issue. If there are specific settings or adjustments I should consider, please let me know.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: System volume controls
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 07:54:28 am »

I have reproduced your problem on my system running MC31.  On my system I have two sound devices:  The built in sound card, which is called "MacBook Pro speakers", and an external sound card that is part of a dock.  I use the dock with MC.  It is also my system sound device in System Settings > Sound .

If I change my System Sound Device (in the Mac system settings) to be the MacBook Pro speakers, then the function keys do not affect my external sound card.  They adjust the volume of the MacBook Pro speakers (whichI am not using.  So it appears to "not be working".  If instead I set my system sound device to be the external sound card, then the function keys control the volume as expected.  You should check your Sound settings and see what your default device is.

Brian.

dannylin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 09:38:31 pm »

If I change my System Sound Device (in the Mac system settings) to be the MacBook Pro speakers, then the function keys do not affect my external sound card.  They adjust the volume of the MacBook Pro speakers (whichI am not using.  So it appears to "not be working".  If instead I set my system sound device to be the external sound card, then the function keys control the volume as expected.  You should check your Sound settings and see what your default device is.

Thanks, Brian. This is very helpful. At least this "workaround" would clarify the issue that I encountered.
By the way, I have my earphones connected with my Mac.

I'm not familiar with how the sound devices worked on Mac. I assume if the earphones is plugged, the sound should go to the earphones, not sure if I'm correct.

I'm using MC31 today with the earphones connected, the system volume control seems to be working correctly no matter how I alter the system sound input/output device settings.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 09:03:44 am »

MC sends audio to the device selected in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device

That might be set to "default core audio", which should follow what you have selected in the system sound settings.  Or in the sound pulldown menu at the top of your screen (Mac system sound menu bar item).

I don't like "default" as it is not specific enough for me.  I want MC to do to the exact device I specify.  You might want it to use whatever device you select in the system menus.  Experiment a bit and see what you like.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up