INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Subtypes Needed  (Read 1051 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Subtypes Needed
« on: November 27, 2023, 11:41:39 am »

#1 - Media Sub-Types: Business, VLOG or Video Blog, Drone, Concert

I'll add this to the coming v32:
Changed: Added media sub types: Business; Blog; Concert.

Thanks for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Subtypes Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 09:45:30 pm »

I'll add this to the coming v32:
Changed: Added media sub types: Business; Blog; Concert.

Thanks for the help.

If you could add the following as well that would be great!
Media Sub Types:
Kids

Cheers, thanks!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 04:27:12 am »

Kids

Isn't that more of a Keyword or Genre? You can have content for kids on every Sub-media type.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 04:30:02 am »

I agree, a movie can be for kids, so can a TV Show. Changing the sub-type breaks metadata functions and all that. Sub-Type is for the format of the content, not the content itself.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 04:32:12 am »

That's surely true of business, concert and blog also isn't it?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 04:33:07 am »

I think Blog and Concert are acceptable, but Business should not be a subtype.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 04:40:33 am »

Blog and Concert are fine for me, they are distinct formats of content, and don't really relate to a Genre or such. You can argue for Business, but at least it would not have a direct overlap with functionality that would break if you use it (probably).
Kids on the other hand has that. Just because a show is Sesame Street and not CSI, you still expect metadata lookup to work, for example.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 04:50:44 am »

Concert is a genre imv, I have films of concerts and they can also be TV shows. Business is the same to me, I could have images, docs and videos that are for business. Blog is the only one that is possibly a subtype to me though I don't know what the format of that would be for it to be stored in MC? Could also be a doc with a given genre.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 05:00:48 am »

Blog was added on the request to store "vlogs", or "video blogs", at least for that it seems to be its own sort of video format.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 08:57:10 am »

"Kids' may be the wrong word, and Media-Sub-Type may be the wrong method/category to do this.

Here is my desired outcome:

For Video only, use Media Sub Type to separate all children's video content from other content. So Pulp Fiction and Bluey are separate, as well as downloaded Youtube Children's Music Videos being separate from a Youtube Dave Matthews Concert.

Right now I use a custom tag for this and it works fine, so like I said maybe Kids or Children isn't appropriate as a Media Sub Type. And Hendrik, you bring up an important point that downstream functions like lookup metadata depend in different ways on Media Sub Type.

...BUT :) ...

Most major streaming app do this at a high level - Amazon Prime gives you a "Kids" button right at the start, Netflix does the same. Since those are video streaming services, their "Media Type" is always video, and the next tier down in terms of metadata. which seems similar (but not equivalent) to MC's Media Sub Type, because it's the next level down in terms of metadata heirarchy...

I guess I am arguing myself into my own solution here, because the problem I encounter is that kids stuff appears here and there and everywhere at the moment. You are saying a lower tier metadata in the hierarchy like "Genre" would be more appropriate, and that's similar to what I am doing by having a boolean Kids/Not Kids custum tag.

Soon my boys will be stronger and smarter than me, and none of this will matter  ;D

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 09:11:53 am »

"Kids' may be the wrong word, and Media-Sub-Type may be the wrong method/category to do this.

Here is my desired outcome:

For Video only, use Media Sub Type to separate all children's video content from other content. So Pulp Fiction and Bluey are separate, as well as downloaded Youtube Children's Music Videos being separate from a Youtube Dave Matthews Concert.

Right now I use a custom tag for this and it works fine, so like I said maybe Kids or Children isn't appropriate as a Media Sub Type. And Hendrik, you bring up an important point that downstream functions like lookup metadata depend in different ways on Media Sub Type.

...BUT :) ...

Most major streaming app do this at a high level - Amazon Prime gives you a "Kids" button right at the start, Netflix does the same. Since those are video streaming services, their "Media Type" is always video, and the next tier down in terms of metadata. which seems similar (but not equivalent) to MC's Media Sub Type, because it's the next level down in terms of metadata heirarchy...

I guess I am arguing myself into my own solution here, because the problem I encounter is that kids stuff appears here and there and everywhere at the moment. You are saying a lower tier metadata in the hierarchy like "Genre" would be more appropriate, and that's similar to what I am doing by having a boolean Kids/Not Kids custum tag.

Soon my boys will be stronger and smarter than me, and none of this will matter  ;D.

I've been using a combination of genre tags and user tags for this. I add "children" or "kids" as a genre for kids programming and then I can filter on that because genre tags are additive (you can have as many as you want), so there's no cost in just tacking on another one.  That way I can make views that don't show the kids grown up stuff and don't show me kid stuff.

I also use the "users" tags and functionality to filter this way, I made a user tag for both parents and one for the kiddo.  The user tags are especially nice because I can, for example, sync all of my wife's music to her phone because it's all tagged with her user tag, or create a view that only shows my kid the music she likes.  User tags are even more flexible, because a given piece can be tagged for all users, one user, or no users.  So if there's an album or show we all like, and we all want to see it in our personal views that's easy to do with user tags, but you can't accomplish that with a binary kids or not kids tag or a genre tag.  My experience is that I'm using the user tags more and more as my daughter grows up and her media interests have begun to increasingly overlap with the grownups' media interests.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 09:21:27 am »

Thank you, great idea.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 09:38:06 am »

One more subtype -

"Pure Audio"

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 01:05:04 pm »

If you are suggesting a subtype, an explanation what it's for and had a right to exist might go a long way. What is pure audio, and why does it not fit other types? Remembering that it should describe a format of content, not the content itself.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2023, 01:29:40 pm »

If you are suggesting a subtype, an explanation what it's for and had a right to exist might go a long way. What is pure audio, and why does it not fit other types? Remembering that it should describe a format of content, not the content itself.

With regards to the request for "Pure Audio" - Subtype

These are blu-ray disks but only contain audio tracks i.e. dts-hd, Atmos, flac, Dolby TrueHD.  Even though they are bluray disk they contain no video. 

In my opinion the closest subtype is "Music Video", but they are definitely not Music Videos. 

https://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 04:48:24 am »

For perspective, I use a two-field system for media types [Type 1] and [Type 2]. This is largely agnostic of MC's vanilla [Media Type] ie an image, video, audio or document could be tagged as any of below if it makes sense:
  • Eg I will tag a soundtrack from a movie as [Type 1] = Film;Music [Type 2] = Soundtrack
  • Eg I will tag a music video as [Type 1] = Music [Type 2] = Music Video
Where wanted, views can use [Media type] to filter views for only audio 'music' or only video 'music' but I can still view them all together under [Type 1] = music if I want to.
Similarly, I can view all media relating to a film (posters, music, the film itself) under [Type 1] = Film.

It takes a bit of a paradigm shift but works really well :)

Type 1 is my user-editable version of [Media Subtype] and used in many view filters, expressions and renaming tools etc. Whenever there is a differential need for how things should be tagged or organised (eg used to have stage productions together but then broke into Theatre, Opera, Dance etc as different use/view cases). I have contemplated combining shorts and film into one, and web series and television into one (as the use cases have varied, and often not watched on 'TV' anymore! You could also argue 'Documentary' is more of a genre, but I like being able to view all features and series together as 'documentaries'

I also allow multi-select (with some entries trumping others for tag views, rename expressions etc)

[Type 1]
Advertisement
Adult
Artwork
Comedy (ie Standup, not the genre)
Concert
Coverart
Dance
Documentary
Film
Game
Literature (includes books, magazines, comics, poetry under type 2)
Music
News/Events
Opera
Personal (for all personal photos, home videos etc)
Podcasts
Projects
Radio
Shorts
Sport
Stock
Television (probably should be recoded as series)
Theatre
Web Series
I also have Hidden and System for higher level filtering (ie sensitive photos I don't want in general views for example)

[Type 2] Many and varied, and virtually nested based on above
eg Film: Feature Film, Extras, Trailers (and similar variations for Television etc)
eg Music: I use Type 2 to classify the album type - Album, Bootleg, Compilation, Single, EP, LP, Promo, Music Video, Concert
eg Personal (ie 'Family Media'): Photos, Collages, Home Videos, Audio recordings, Articles, Blogs/Posts, Social Media, Certificates, Birth Records, Marriage Records, Death Records, Census Records, Letters, Cards, Invitations, Memorabilia, Headstones, Publications, Academic Records, Service Records, Travel Records
eg Literature: Book, Poetry, Comic, Manga, Magazine
eg Artwork: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Multimedia, Installation

You are welcome to make use of any of above in Media Subtype!

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 05:49:14 am »

I would like Game as Media Type ... atm I group them in Data lol

Using MC for everything... could have use launchbox for games,  but prefer everything under one hub

... it's not that important to me though as what I have now works

... stuff that's important to me are things that have no workaround (like ability to have cover art for any tag as I mention in "Make a wish" lol)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up