INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There is no menu bar, so I cannot make any changes  (Read 1012 times)

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
There is no menu bar, so I cannot make any changes
« on: December 06, 2023, 02:49:19 pm »

JRiver opens in Theater View, as intended.  When I exit theater view and go to standard view, there is no menu bar.  If I click on the desktop, the Finder menu bar appears, as expected.  If I then click on JRiver, the Media Center 31 menu bar appears, but then immediately slides upward, exiting the screen.  I cannot change any settings as a result.

I tried deleting and reinstalling JRiver MC31, with no luck.

I am using a Mac Mini M1 running OSX Sonoma.  I am using MediaCenter310083.

Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: There is no menu bar, so I cannot make any changes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 08:28:14 am »

In MC's settings (Apple Command Key - O)
You can do a search for
reset window
And you will see an option
Reset window position settings
Choose that and restart MC. You should be good to go.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 03:53:19 pm »

Resetting window positions did not work for me, but being able to access the settings using Command-O was very helpful.  I've been able to determine what triggers the vanishing menu bar in my case:  Exiting from Theater View to Standard View.

I used the "Command-O" as mentioned above to access the settings.  I changed the setting "Startup>Startup Interface>Mode" from Theater View to Standard View, and exited Media Center.  Upon startup in Standard View, the menu bar was present and usable.  After switching to Theater View and then exiting back to Standard View, the menu bar did its sliding-out-of-view act again.

Because I previously had Media Center set to start up in Theater View, I'd never had a usable menu bar.

I realize that version 31 is no longer being developed, but maybe this information could be helpful for version 32, if v32 has this issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 03:57:35 pm »

I can't get that to happen in MC32. Perhaps it was a side effect of another fix.
What version of MacOS are you running and how many active monitors?

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 10:49:33 am »

I'm running MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1.
I have one monitor.
I tried Media Center 32 today, and am getting the same result.

I have attached an mp4 of the event occurring on my Mac Mini.
 - Open Media Center - menu bar is present and working.
 - Change to Theater View - menu bar turns black and fades from view, as expected, for full window viewing.
 - Exit Theater View - returns to standard view, but menu bar is missing.
 - Clicking on the background where the menu bar should be brings up the Finder's menu bar.
 - After clicking Media Center, the Media Center menu bar appears, but rather than staying put, it immediately fades from view.

It is as though the menu bar behavior from entering Theater View, where it appropriately hides itself from view, continues inappropriately after changing back from Theater View to standard view.

Is there any further system/software information from my Mac Mini that I can provide you with that might explain why this problem is not happening for you?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 12:03:06 pm »

Did you try rebooting?

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 04:54:35 pm »

I have rebooted several times throughout the diagnostic process, most recently half an hour ago.  The problem remains unchanged.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 07:58:57 am »

I'm running MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1.
I have one monitor.
I tried Media Center 32 today, and am getting the same result.

I have attached an mp4 of the event occurring on my Mac Mini.
 - Open Media Center - menu bar is present and working.
 - Change to Theater View - menu bar turns black and fades from view, as expected, for full window viewing.
 - Exit Theater View - returns to standard view, but menu bar is missing.
 - Clicking on the background where the menu bar should be brings up the Finder's menu bar.
 - After clicking Media Center, the Media Center menu bar appears, but rather than staying put, it immediately fades from view.

It is as though the menu bar behavior from entering Theater View, where it appropriately hides itself from view, continues inappropriately after changing back from Theater View to standard view.

Is there any further system/software information from my Mac Mini that I can provide you with that might explain why this problem is not happening for you?
Not happening for me. Mac Mini 14.3. There is no option to upgrade to 14.3.1 for me. I assume that's a beta? If so you can't expect proper behavior from a beta.
Also your video for me at least doesn't even show the menu bar.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 08:58:50 am »

Sorry to intrude, I'm not a mac user - but google says to try a few things:
https://mackeeper.com/blog/mac-menu-bar-not-showing/

There's a setting in Sonoma to hide the menu bar in Full Screen mode. Perhaps MC is not reporting to the OS that it has left the fullscreen mode?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 09:20:29 am »

Sorry to intrude, I'm not a mac user - but google says to try a few things:
https://mackeeper.com/blog/mac-menu-bar-not-showing/

There's a setting in Sonoma to hide the menu bar in Full Screen mode. Perhaps MC is not reporting to the OS that it has left the fullscreen mode?
That's a good guess.
MC does inform the OS that it's leaving FullScreen mode. It's a bit tricky though because it can sometimes take the OS a long time to respond.
Edit: I just tried that with the hide show set to Always and the MC menu bar still came back.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 11:12:47 am »

Not happening for me. Mac Mini 14.3. There is no option to upgrade to 14.3.1 for me. I assume that's a beta? If so you can't expect proper behavior from a beta.

Thankfully the OP is on a 14.3 Beta and not one of the 14.4 Betas some of them certainly don't know what "Proper Behaviour" is!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 11:57:22 am »

I tried setting "Automatically hide and show the menu bar" to "Never" (great advice, by the way!), but with no change in the behavior of Media Center.

I am not signed up for MacOS betas.  Per Wikipedia, Feb 8 was the release date of 14.3.1.  Please note that the problem has been present for me since December, when I was using whatever the stable version of the MacOS was at that time.

To view the whole video I posted, try watching in full screen.  It seems that the menu bar gets cut off when windowed.

In case that doesn't work, I have posted screen shots of the video below.

I would greatly welcome further suggestions.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 12:36:04 pm »

Reboot, just in case that setting needs it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 02:34:09 pm »

Still can't reproduce this.
After you come back from the full screen mode and show the menu bar and when you have Finder showing as the active app in the menu bar, try clicking on MC and on the desktop and back on MC and see if the MC menubar comes back.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 10:11:43 am »

Still can't reproduce this.
After you come back from the full screen mode and show the menu bar and when you have Finder showing as the active app in the menu bar, try clicking on MC and on the desktop and back on MC and see if the MC menubar comes back.

No luck.  The menubar slides out of view again each time I click on MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2024, 02:22:50 pm »

No luck.  The menubar slides out of view again each time I click on MC.
That's fine but when you click MC and hover over where the menu bar is to bring it back down you should see the MC menu.
Works perfectly for me.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 09:28:05 pm »

That's fine but when you click MC and hover over where the menu bar is to bring it back down you should see the MC menu.
Works perfectly for me.

Doing so does not bring back the menubar in my case.
My 2017 MacBook Pro running the same (latest) version of MC31 on Ventura does not exhibit this behavior, and works as expected.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 10:31:56 pm »

I still don't know the cause of the issue, but extreme measures provided a fix.

Using Recovery Mode, I reinstalled Sonoma over the existing Sonoma installation.  No difference - the menubar still disappeared.

I cloned my MacMini's internal drive to a bootable external drive, in case anyone is interested in further troubleshooting, and put the bootable external drive aside.  I then erased the internal drive from within Recovery Mode.

I installed Ventura to the erased drive from within Recovery Mode, and installed Media Center.  The problem was no longer present.

I then updated the OS to Sonoma 14.3.1.  The problem remains gone.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the problem occurred in the first place, I'll be glad to boot up from the external drive and experiment, otherwise I'll post back here if I ever figure out myself why the problem occurred.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 07:57:53 am »

I still don't know the cause of the issue, but extreme measures provided a fix.

Using Recovery Mode, I reinstalled Sonoma over the existing Sonoma installation.  No difference - the menubar still disappeared.

I cloned my MacMini's internal drive to a bootable external drive, in case anyone is interested in further troubleshooting, and put the bootable external drive aside.  I then erased the internal drive from within Recovery Mode.

I installed Ventura to the erased drive from within Recovery Mode, and installed Media Center.  The problem was no longer present.

I then updated the OS to Sonoma 14.3.1.  The problem remains gone.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the problem occurred in the first place, I'll be glad to boot up from the external drive and experiment, otherwise I'll post back here if I ever figure out myself why the problem occurred.
Is there another software package that you didn't install on the rebuild? Perhaps that's the issue.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 03:50:27 pm »

I installed Airfoil, which required me to restart the Mac a couple times.  Everything with Media Center still worked fine. 

I then tried adjusting settings installing apps one at a time, quitting out of Media Center and relaunching it after each change to test for reemergence of the problem.  In addition to Airfoil, I installed iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, and Pages.  I don't recall installing any other software.  No problems.  Then I restarted the Mac, and the problem reemerged.  It seems that either software or a system setting is responsible, and the problematic behavior does not occur until after a restart.

I just can't bring myself to start over again, restarting the Mac (rather than just quitting and launching MC) after every change in System settings and each installation of an app.  This Mac is purely a Media Center client.  I can live with just Media Center and Airfoil installed on it.

At least I can rule out Airfoil as a cause.  Because I had not yet installed Keyboard Maestro when the problem reemerged, that can be ruled out also.

It would be interesting to see what software retiredteacherguy (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135086.msg935401.html#msg935401) has installed, since it seems I am not the only one with this issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 04:24:41 pm »

Utterly unable to reproduce this.
It seems like it'd have to be a running app or something in the menu bar.
Include a screenshot of your dock and menubar.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 08:48:44 am »

I can now reproduce the problem.

If "System Settings>Desktop & Dock>Displays have separate Spaces" is turned off (requires a log out to take effect), the menu bar disappears when exiting Theater View.  If the setting is kept on, the menu bar behaves normally.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2024, 09:00:51 am »

Spaces? googly googlity click... Ah: Spaces (Virtual Desktops)

*snort*
I guess "virtual desktops" is too much techno babble for apple ::)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2024, 09:38:55 am »

I can now reproduce the problem.

If "System Settings>Desktop & Dock>Displays have separate Spaces" is turned off (requires a log out to take effect), the menu bar disappears when exiting Theater View.  If the setting is kept on, the menu bar behaves normally.
You have how many displays?
If only one this setting seems useless.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 10:20:04 am »

I have one display.
I do not use Spaces, and have no idea what this setting does.
Edit:  Because I don't use Spaces, it made sense to me to turn off anything that has to do with Spaces.  Doing so caused the problem.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2024, 12:57:20 pm »

I have one display.
I do not use Spaces, and have no idea what this setting does.
Edit:  Because I don't use Spaces, it made sense to me to turn off anything that has to do with Spaces.  Doing so caused the problem.
Sending you a PM.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2024, 05:42:22 am »

It  looks like the Sonoma Defaults in Settings>Desktop & Dock>Mission Control is for the top and bottom options is Switched On and the other 2 Switched Off.

After the fun and games I've had with some of the Sonoma 14.4 Beta Releases it wouldn't surprise me to find out Sonoma thinks every display attached to a M Series Mac is a Virtual Display  ::)
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2024, 08:53:26 am »

It  looks like the Sonoma Defaults in Settings>Desktop & Dock>Mission Control is for the top and bottom options is Switched On and the other 2 Switched Off.

After the fun and games I've had with some of the Sonoma 14.4 Beta Releases it wouldn't surprise me to find out Sonoma thinks every display attached to a M Series Mac is a Virtual Display  ::)
That is somewhat odd.
I did find a way to deal with the issue though and it will be in the next release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up